Launch a range extender or upgrade to mesh network

Comments

• If you purchased directly from Tado you can return everything within 30 days for a refund. If it's longer than that I think you need to have the system for over 6 months and prove that your energy bills haven't come down.
    Personally I think that's rubbish. If the system is not fit for purpose then you should be refunded regardless. It's not like they warn you beforehand that you might have connection problems. If you had to take them to court all your solicitor would have to do is show this thread. It's been a known problem for years and yet they continue to missell their product.
  • It's all been a big misunderstanding. It is actually designed for a dolls house and it just about has enough range to cover all the rooms in a moderate size dolls house 🤣

More seriously, I think consumer law is the most promising idea. The system as sold isn't fit for purpose so you'd think there must be some sort on consumer law that covers that, and there are enough of us affected that maybe we can take action as a group?
  • What an absolute shambles....tado has become a complete joke !!!
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    …if only their customer-support wasn’t done by deaf robots repeating the same ignorant automated replies.
    As a customer it makes you feel like a useless piece of #$*%.
  • As I read the consumer rights link, it says I'd have to take action against the merchant (Amazon) - seems a bit twisted. I can already envisage the circular conversation of Amazon saying they can't help because Tado is telling them it does work
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭

It's normal that it sits with the retailer. Amazon might surprise you.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Tbh I’ve had far more responsive conversations with staff at Amazon than at Tado so you might well be surprised.
  • I am gathering evidence to use the Consumer Rights Act 2015, since every time I mention warranty in the chat, they simply ignore it. This is why I am trying to get in contact with someone at tado who isn't a chat bot - to give them a fair opportunity to have some constructive discussion.

It seems like they try to position themselves in an untouchable tower, only offering chat with standard replies and no actual 'assistance' or detailed technical info. Basically it's set up that way so people will suck it up and live with the problems, or eat the cost and replace it.

I bought mine directly from tado, so not a problem either way.

That aside, I moved some devices so the bridge and receiver are in the same room 3.5m apart, plus a TRV 4m away from the bridge. Still my heating turns on but never off, even with the devices in the same room with no walls. The tado receiver CH light stays on and boiler constantly shows 'c' (call for heat). This time I left it for 5 hours and it did not turn off, no error light, nothing, just wasting gas heating water in the bypass loop. Power cycle the receiver and the CH light stays off. If I turn heating on again it instantly starts up, but 10 seconds later I turn it off and CH light stays on again for hours. This is CONSISTENT - it ALWAYS switches on, NEVER switches off. That is not a signal problem, but when I try to discuss with them, they tell me about some unrelated TRV in a back bedroom that had signal problem at 4am.

I have been recording videos of all my testing as evidence.

When I asked them why my chats got deleted, of course they didn't answer I just got this reply which is revealing:

Hello, thank you for contacting us. Based on the information from our reports, the Smart Radiator Thermostat VAxxxxxxxx has disconnection issues as well. When any other device is disconnected, the Wireless Receiver will have difficulties to reconnect.

The issue I have is with the receiver never turning off the boiler. They are basically saying a random TRV with signal problems will affect the whole system, even if you are trying to use different devices in another room. Basically you WILL have problems across your whole system unless ALL devices are working perfectly with good signal.

Based on that reply I need to test more and record more video, I will be removing devices from the home until I have only the receiver, bridge and one TRV all in the same room. If I still have issues then clearly the system is not of satisfactory quality and I will follow the Consumer Rights Act if they still ignore the warranty. Actually their warranty is 2 years but since they simply ignore everything I write about it, it'll probably be the Consumer Rights Act with lots of video evidence and testimony from an expert engineer. That all costs money but if it goes to court I can add it to my claim. I've been down this road before with another company, and by that time it got to court they were less interested in the technical aspects, more interested in how helpful the company was in trying to resolve it before it went to court. So I am confident with them being so obstructive and dismissive, this would be an easy case.

• Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    @RodneyRabbit , I would like to join your quest. I have had the same experiences with Tado support and Tado equipment.
    In the end I was exhausted by it all and put myself in the suck-it-up category.

Still I have some energy left to make it all right, but because I didn’t expect Tado to be the company it turned out to be.. I did not document it all like you are doing now.

Let me now if I can be of any assistance to you.
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    “ It seems like they try to position themselves in an untouchable tower, only offering chat with standard replies and no actual 'assistance' or detailed technical info. Basically it's set up that way so people will suck it up and live with the problems, or eat the cost and replace it.”

Don’t be surprised when they take this forum down aswel. Make sure you keep a copy of your posts.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    @RodneyRabbit sounds like it might be a stuck relay in the wireless receiver. Try giving it a firm tap and see if that helps.
  • Robbie
    Robbie ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Johnny that’s completely besides the point. It’s up to the company that sold the “stuck relay” to figure it out. It sounds like Rodney already gave it all proper attention, and is open to receive proper support.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    It’s not really beside the point though. I would say everyone comes to this forum because they want to make their system work. If I can offer help with that, I will. That’s completely separate to Tado’s customer support (or lack of it).
  • (and it's clearly not a range problem, which is what this thread is about and what most of us are complaining about)
  • Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    If a 'firm tap' make it work then at least you know which item needs replacing.
  • It's not about range. The support messages you are getting about other devices is just the rubbish support.

Assi.ing you have a basic setup, my suggestion would be to turn all the devices to off, reboot your systems or whatever you have to do so that it isn't calling for heat, and then take your thermostat off the wall and place it by your bridge. Then turn a radiator on and listen to the thermostat. You should get a loud click. Then turn the radiator back off and you should get another loud click.

If you get both clicks then it's likely something is wrong with your boiler or how the thermostat is connected to your boiler. My money would be on the wiring connecting the thermostat to the boiler being wrong. (Yes, it could still be other things and it could still be a faulty relay but if it's clicking "off" then it seems less likely).

If you get the "on" click and not the "off" click then your bridge or thermostat are faulty and need to be replaced (my money would be on thermostat).

Either way, it isn't a range problem imho.

Hope this helps.
  • I didn't realize Tado had been around so long, I obviously made a bad mistake buying it. 6 years later and they can't even get a government mandated formula to convert meter readings to kWh right. It's appalling!

• paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd update on my ongoing range issues.

My "foil hat" on a SRV seemed to help only temporarily, so I took the plunge and added ariels (thanks @Pete) to two of my most troublesome SRV's (I have 5 troublesome ones in total).

SRV #1 has not disconnected at all in the last 3 days after adding approx. 10cm ariel - great news!

SRV #2 is much better, but I had to extend, extend and extend the ariel to about 10ft and positioned high up a wall. Prior to adding the ariel it was disconnected for 10 days (I left it to see if it'd kick back into life). Since adding the ariel I've seen it disconnect twice for a short period of time in the last 3 days. Massive improvement.

However, wife is now annoyed with the ariels and wires hanging around to keep the heating system connected and working. She feels it should just work without unsightly wires and ariels. Fair point. Technical challenge continues for me as it's not easy to hide these wires into solid stone walls 🤣

So next up I'm going to try this with another internet bridge: Range Limitation Publicity — tado° Community (vanillacommunities.com)

Fingers crossed.

If this fails then I think I'm selling up and trying another vendor or back to regular dumb valves.

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    @paul0000
    Have you thought about getting a new wife?
  • As customers/users......we shouldn't have to do stuff like this to a commercially available "SMART" product......

• paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

Every day, @Pete , every day 😂

It's cheaper to swap out tado than swap out the wife 😉

• Certainly if Pete’s aerial thing works it should be made available
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    I’ve had a good experience when emailing Tado’s tech support team. One such contact you might try there is fabrizio@tado-844a35e31252.intercom-mail.com
  • Surely tado° support should be at a sufficient technical level to ensure that "everyone" can expect to receive an appropriately accurate and knowledgeable response......or am I expecting too much ??🤔

• Is it just me? Got back after a week away and suddenly all valves are working and connected. Has something changed?
  • paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

@CIW just you I think. I continue to experience "randomness".

After deploying @Pete ariel fix on two of my SRV's I'm now seeing a great improvement on them, however I've now noticed that other rooms that have been 100% stable for 3+ years are now randomly dropping out. Last night and tonight for example our main "lounge" SRV which has never failed since we installed Tado twice failed to heat the room at the allocated time. No battery warnings, and "rebooting" the SRV kicked it back into life.

This makes me wonder if there are capacity/load issues for users with a lot of SRV's?

• Yes it was just me or at least the usual drop out TRV has dropped out again. So annoying as it had been great for a week.
  • paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

My second tado internet bridge arrived today. I've set it up onto another account and followed @David_F guidance in this thread Range Limitation Publicity — tado° Community (vanillacommunities.com)

I have moved 3 x SRV and 1 x extension kit away from my main home to a "new home" and then back to my main home.

I have removed all the extender ariels I've installed and will monitor over the next week.

FINGERS CROSSED !!

• paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

Well it didn't work. Anyone after a internet bridge?

I'm back to the ariel extension for the few SRV's that drop out and after stealthy hiding the wife has yet to notice ☺️