What is Tado Plus?

I just saw this: https://www.tado.com/nl-nl/plus

Does this look like we, the existing customers, may eventually have to choose a subscription?

It says that once the subscription is stopped, the user will no longer have access to auto-assist and the app. Because it also mentions *the app*, I need to see my options ahead of time if every feature will eventually be put behind a paywall.

Even though I happily pay for EnergyIQ, the last thing I need in my smart home setup is a mandatory subscription and (over)reliance on external cloud-based services.

I would like to know the perspective of other users about this.

Answers

• It looks like Tado is going to have another go at being a service provider. For a monthly fee homeowners lease the hardware, but never own it. It looks to be a 2-5 year contract. I cannot see this affecting existing customers who own the hardware outright.

• I've just checked this out on the Dutch link.....I have 10 SRT's....so this "subscription service" would cost me over £25 /month......absolutely rediculous. I could never justify that price.
  • Yes, seems a bit expensive

I am in favour of this model as it would save the high initial outlay and in theory would give better support as Tado would have an income stream to pay for a proper support team

My install would work out around €21 per month. If it was say around €15, I'd be happy to sign up for a 3 year agreement ...

• So, with an outlay of £25+ /month.....how will tado provide the user with a cost effective reduction in our running costs....it doesn't work for me 👎
  • Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭

You can’t really compare us with the Netherlands. They have rules regarding fitting smart controls and zones that we just don’t have here.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Agreed......I'm not getting into the rules and regulations of different countries.....just commented on my own opinion regarding this level of "subscription service"
    I have already decided to remove all my tado devices and go back to utilising the features provided by my boiler manufacturer anyway.
    (Tado user for 3 years Forum member since Oct 2020)
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

There's no evidence, at least not yet, that subscribing will result in better service, or that the more tado° units you have, the more money you'll save. At least, I haven't seen anything that's really convincing. Very often, investing in SRTVs brings no benefits at all, only costs.

Must be the German thing - BMW started selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month. What a coincidence that tado° & BMW are both based in Munich xD

Words like 'smart', 'innovative', 'cost saving', 'green energy' help with sales, but real life will tell you what's true and what's just a sales slogan to line the pockets of shareholders.

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭

Nobody sensible believed BMW actually did that, surely.

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭

Have you logged in to check how many of these are available for your BMW?

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Is not really a new idea!

When you subscribe to satellite TV, the provider installs the dish and provides the decoder. Same for home broadband

I agree that the current subscription model offers little benefit and I also agree that tado maybe hasn't saved me much but I do like the idea of a full subscription service instead of having to spend £££ up front on the devices with no support over out of warranty. I believe that properly managed, the income stream from subscriptions would allow tado to invest in their support service and future products
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭

How will tado respond towards their current customer base that have already purchased their tado system ??🤔

My overall gas usage in m3 has not significantly changed from the year before I purchased tado to my recent usage......the only real benefit for me has been the convenience that using tado alongside my Alexa has produced........this convenience will be missed when I fully remove my tado devices.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@GrayDav4276 How will tado respond towards their current customer base that have already purchased their tado system ??🤔

They will, of course, refund at current cost price the full amount against our equipment plus an amount against our installation costs.**

I'm sure I just spotted a pig up there!

**How will that fit in a subscription model - traditionally but not always self-fit? Where will responsibility lie?

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    🤣😂😎👍
    "IF" Tado does have a plan to refund some of the existing outlay paid by its current customers (which they won't)......then it'll be an insulting amount....imho
  • davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    It's a good question that only tado could answer IF they decide to go down the route of a full subscription service.

I think it's safe to say they wouldn't give any cash back but perhaps a significantly reduced subscription with full support and warranty ...
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@davidlyall Yes but my point above about installation must be an issue high on their agenda. Could they offer any warranty to old or new customers unless tado (through contract) arranged and charged for the installation? Proving equipment vs installation fault could be quite a grey area?

Of course we have no idea what they are thinking!!

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I'm voting with my feet.......I personally think that tado° have only ever supplied their versions of what people actually want......and what they provide is a poor system at best..........I'm out !!!!

• The original Tado could be bought on an annual sub. I had one for a few years then bought one outright. Think it was about £70 odd a year.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

At £70 pa it was a steal but roughly when was that please?

• Quite a few years ago. Just checked emails and it was late 2014 when I ordered it 😮