Support for Viessmann PlusBus

Since 2020 the Viessmann Vitodens 2xx and 3xx range of gas boilers do not support KM-Bus or OpenTherm any longer. Viessmann decided to "upgrade" the interface on this boilers to PlusBus. This is an in-house developed protocol which they claim is an evolution from KM-Bus. However there is zero information to be found online about this protocol. Nor are there any 3rd party thermostats that support it. So at this point I can only conclude it to be completely proprietary, closed and unsupported to external parties. Basically Viessmann decided to vendor lock-in its users as much as possible to their own solutions (e.g. Vitotrol and Vicare Smart Climate, which are very very poor speaking from experience).

For Tado users who have such a boiler this means they can only be controlled by relay. The boiler will still modulate but only based on its internal heating curve. Tado can only manipulate this by turning it on or off. Off course efficiency and comfort wise this is not ideal.

The Vitodens 2xx/3xx are very expensive boilers (probably the most expensive I can find in my area). One of the reasons being their best in class modulation range. These "premium" boilers are targeted towards consumers who want to maximize efficiency. The same goes for Tado.

My Tado system was bought via Viessmann. The Tado packaging and app is even customized to show a big logo "Viessmann with Tado"

So basically I now have this two very expensive systems who claim to work together and be super efficient. But actually they barely communicate with each other and thereby loose effiency, comfort, overal ease of use and user insight. I would urge both Tado and Viessmann to sort this out!

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Would it be possible to get an official reaction from Tado? Is this something being actively worked on?

As a user who payed a hefty premium price for both Tado and Viessmann products. Claiming market leading efficiency and integration (hence the "Viessmann with Tado" labeling) while actually not talking to each other at all is frustrating and misleading to say the least.

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭

You've got your reaction here.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Tado don't appear to be monitoring this Forum anymore......
  • Also the Tado installers manual isn't correct any longer, and has been for multiple years. Viessmann stopped KM-BUS support for new boilers since 2019-2020.

• Once again: could Tado post an official reaction here? For sure Tado is aware of this and someone must have seen this?

Is this going to be included by the next heating season (October - November 2023)?

Both Viessmann and Tado are "premium" brands with a "premium" price tag. If they claim to work together efficiently, they should do so. Else it's just consumer deception.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    @takie
    Unfortunately I suspect that your last sentence is an accurate estimation of the situation.
  • Bump to keep this active.

When will we have actual "Viessmann with Tado" for Vitodens 2xx users?

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    @takie
    I'm sorry to say that my answer is not what you want to hear.....but.....most of the latest generation of boilers are now much more advanced that when tado "jumped on the bandwagon" of "Smart CH Automation"
    In my personal opinion.....your Viessmann system is potentially more efficient and effective than using a tado connected system.
    If your boiler has the facility for Weather Compensation......then even utilising non Tado "dumb" TRV's on your radiators is very likely to be more effective in your household.
    Currently, I have removed all my tado SRT's (10) from my radiators and I will be fitting a Weather Compensation sensor to my Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combi boiler.
    Goodbye to bad rubbish....imho
  • Apart from this I am very happy with my Tado system. I come from Viessmann's own digital thermostat system (Vicare Smart Climate), and I can say with certainty that Tado is miles ahead ... except for system integration. Which is not their fault. Hvac manufactures have a tendency to wall of everything in favor of their own inferior but expensive controls. Exactly with Viessmann is doing with PLUS BUS and Vicare/Vitotrol. Why open protocols are not EU mandated is beyond me.

But how unfortunate and infuriating it may be, this is not going to change any time soon. And Viessmann will continue to use PlusBus as its only communication protocol for their entire product range. Be it heat pumps, boilers or others.

I received word from Tado saying best they could do was "maybe in a few years". I would urge them to reconsider. By not supporting PlusBus Tado is ignoring a *big* market chunk!