Boiler wont turn off

I've had the Tado a couple of weeks now and everything has been going fine. At 9pm yesterday the boiler kicked in and hasn't stopped since. I've turned everything off, I've tried resetting the boiler but nothing is working.

I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Same thing here fitted 4 trvs went to bed, heating still on but everything turned down to 14 degrees.
  • Same for me.
    Few days ago my thermostat seems to give a permanent ON signal.
    While set to OFF.
  • Also for me!

seems to have been happening for a couple of days now.

Tado Support??

• I am having a similar problem. I moved houses and now have a city heating system, so no boiler to control. I had my thermostat reconfigured to control the valve for my floor heating system, and have installed smart radiator valves on the rest of the house. It seemed to be working fine at the beginning but today I noticed that it was not turning off. In principle both systems should be independent of each other, but I need to check to see if it turns off when turning off all radiators, just in case. Maybe there was a problem with a firmware update? In any case I find it a bit frustrating that some configurations (in this case, chech that it is configured as a zone valve and not as a a boiler control) can only be modified remotely by the technical service. It should save a lot of time if we could do this ourselves.

• So, did a couple more checks and found that the Trvs are somehow interfering with the thermostat and it won't turn off if they are demanding heat. The funny part is that the thermostat is showing a closed status in the app, so you only see this upon physical inspection (and of course the fact that my living room is at 24 degrees now). Anyway, I'm going to contact tech support about this because it should be configurable , just sharing in case this helps some of you.
  • Hello, unfortunately I am also experiencing similar issues. I’ve had tado thermostat only (no valves) for about 2-3years and all was fine until just before Christmas. The tado does not seem to be responding to any changes made through the app anaymore. It keeps showing the room temperature as being extremely high sometimes 28 degrees when the target temp is set at 15 degrees (as the nature of my job means I’m hardly ever at home so that’s why I set this low temp to stop the pipes from freezing in my absence) I’ve tried turning it on and off on the app, setting it to no heating or varying the temperature, change batteries, take the back plate off, even had to make a 4 hour round trip home as I was staying far away for work just so I could spend about an hour and a half messaging tado chat support who advised me to open all the windows to cool down the house (at this point, the temp had just kept climbing and was now at 28 degrees), also advised to take the back plate off, the rebooted the device at their end and pushed the configuration... This all seemed to work in the day and I was told the issue was a STUCK RELAY which is basically when the instructions from the app don’t quite make it to the device I think 🤷‍♀️ I was told by app support if it happens again, to contact them and they could simply fix it by rebooting again and I wouldn’t have to physically be at home to take the back plate off the thermostat.

Anyways, worked okay for about a day and I travelled back to my place of work only for the same thing to happen again. My heating is CONSTANTLY on even when I’ve turned it off. I must be wasting soooo much energy and I’ve reported this multiple times already but it keeps happening. I have now made another trip home, taken the backplate off and turned the heating off on the app and guess what, the temperature is still rising. This whole thing has been so frustrating and feels like I’m gonna get a huge energy bill for something that isn’t my fault. I’m writing this message at 4.30am as I can’t sleep and there doesn’t seem a number to call to speak to an actual person. Help please anyone...And thank you in advance.
  • Also experienced some strange going on. Yesterday one of my trv was showing as off and the temperature at 25c when it was set to 19c. This is because the radiator was pumping out heat despite tado showing the status as off. I swapped with another trv from another room to check it wasn’t faulty (as trying to manually control it was unresponsive). After a bit of fiddling both trvs seem to sort themselves out and problem solved.

Then I woke up this morning and as off 2am my ‘smart’ thermostat was showing as 21c, bear in mind this is a cool part of the house, and so in the lounge the paint was melting off the wall. But again, tado app shows the temp rising (in the charts) but showed no history of the heating coming on despite radiators pumping out heat. Turning boiler off, along with resetting every tado related seems to have done the job for now.

I’ve had my system for over 3 years and never had anything like this, there’s definitely some glitch going on with tado communicating to my boiler be it through trv or thermostat. A view from Tado on this would be appreciated.
  • I had a similar issue a few days back late at night. The Tado bridge lost its internet connection and switched the boiler to the on position. History in the app is missing between Sunday jan 12 15:30h and Monday jan 13 3:00h. And somewhere in that timeframe (+/- 2:30 at night) the Tado thermostat ordered the boiler to switch on without reason.

I reported a similar issue months ago in July 2019, but the issue has not been fixed unfortunately.

• Looks like I am having the same issue. Noticed last night that our room was up to 28 degrees yet app had heating off...all devices were connected but still the boiler rumbled away. Took batteries out of thermostat and turned wifi off and on again but no change. Actually has to go to garage and turn off the boiler as dread to think what bill will be. Turned boiler back on this morning and once again, it will not turn off. Have contacted the Tado on line "bot" but still waiting. Is it a coincidence that there is no longer a phone number.....!!!

• MyTada
    MyTada ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    My system was totally down and the boiler was sent to constantly on.
    I suspect Tado server was down this morning around 7am. Tried resetting the Switch and Extension unit to no avail. I had to switched the boiler off and went to work. The App doesn't even load up as it is trying to sync to the server. But end up hanged up as it can't talk to the server.

Now on returned home and I reset the switch and everything works. But required to to mount and pair all the smart rads.

Very frustrating and inconvenience. I am glad I didn't installed the system for the rest of the families, otherwise I will very busy fixing it for them on a periodic basis.
  • I have a similar problem. If I am "away" after about 28 hours the heating comes on. Still an away status, no temperature threshold met and no 'grey' demand. But the temperature rises uncontrollably it got to 34C in December. The fix is to send someone to my house to turn the gateway off for 15 mins. Then it calms down until about 28 hours later...

Tado, after A LOT of toing and froing, (I have even produced a PowerPoint with big arrows) declaim that there's nothing wrong and it must be a phantom heating controller I don't have. My heating bill is about 20% more than pre-tado. It works just dandy as long as you have a faithful retainer to turn it off and on again every 24 hours. Any ideas how to fix it? I can't afford to pay both the heating bill and my manservant.
  • Still no answer to this? All my valves were working perfectly before when I was using an old thermostat. Today I installed the Tado thermostat, according to the instructions, and for some reason the boiler is ON all the time. Temperature in the house is hotter than it should be (there are a few radiators with old valves that had to close manually), but boiler still running. I tried resetting boiler, thermostat, bridge and valves. All valves are off, and heater still on... what a headache..
  • Unfortunately I also have the same problem. Yesterday I noticed that the room was heating while I had set the temperature to 17 degrees. Tried lowering the temperature even lower, physically removing Tado from the wall and reconnecting it, pairing again I had to unplug the heater to stop it hearing up even more. This morning the same thing, it continues to heat up. Tado now tells me there is a window open, which doesn’t make sense either.

what do I do to solve this. Having the heater unplugged is most definitely not the answer.

• Hello,

There can be many reasons why the heating can be on when it is not expected. When reading the replies above most of you are describing a different problem with the same result. The reasons for which the boiler may not stop can be a faulty boiler, or an incorrect (initial) configuration, a set up where Smart Radiator Thermostats can call for heat individually and so on.

Whatever the case may be it is crucial that you contact our Support Team so we can resolve your individual issue as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Your tado° Team

• I've had the same issue and via pure chance have stumbled upon a fix for mine. I changed the batteries in the smart thermostat 😁
  • Cancel that - batteries had nothing to do with it but I have now found the fix. My home has two zones but only one of them had a recognised "zone controller" in the app. This meant that inspire of the dual zones, all my smart radiator thermostats were linked with the downstairs zone controller (extension kit). This meant that if a rad upstairs was calling for heat, it would turn on the downstairs heating via tado, but because physically the upstairs rads are attached to the upstairs zone valve - they would never hear.
    In summary - check the zone controller that the smart radiator stats are associated with and ensure it is correct.
  • Guys after installing a new thermostat and 4 trvs I got very frustrated because boiler wouldn't go off. I finally found the issue: by default all trvs act like thermostats and communicate with the actual thermostat and trigger the boiler on if temperature triggers are met for any of the trvs.
    Not easy to find but go to settings, room &devices, click on each individual trv arrow on the right and scroll down to zone controller option.
  • I solved this with my system

situation: after the install of only the thermostat the boiler managed to turn off when needed. After installing the radiator thermostats it suddenly wasn’t able to shut off. Based on the comment of Asis of 23/10 I assumed it had something to do with the radioator thermostats bypassing the main thermostat for some reason.

navigate to: if you go in to Settings on the WEB => Rooms & Devices => go in to each of the ROOM’s sub menu => scroll down => see Heating zone and Zone controller

solution: Mine were all set correctly to be the main thermostat in this sub menu. However I decided to just go ahead and try to put all my radiator thermostats to “independent”. I saved the settings and reset it to the main thermostat for each radiator thermostat soon after. The boiler was able to turn off after a heat request was cancelled from the main thermostat (either because of manual shut off or reaching the desired temperature).

That’s it, I hope that this can help someone.

• I had a very similar issue and believe it’s now fixed!!

The solution for me was just making sure my bridge was installed vertically. I had mine just laying on the floor next to the router but have since moved it 0.5m away from the router and command striped it to the side of a bookshelf ensuring it’s up right. Job done problem solved!
  • Cannot turn heating off

only way is to turn off main switch to boiler

installed by heating engineer and was working fine.Could turn boiler off using wireless receiver but it will not do it now

am a 75 year old women who is not very tech savvy and this is very upsetting

everything appears to be connected but temp simply goes up and up

help

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Do you know where your router and Tado bridge are? Sounds like it’s losing connection with the wireless receiver, try repositioning the bridge and see if that makes a difference.

Were you able to control the heating with the app or thermostat before and have you set a schedule? You should only be using the wireless receiver to turn the heating on and off in an emergency.