The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• Tado do a trim plate for their Smart Thermostat and Extension Unit.

Unfortunately the Tado Smart AC does not fit this trim plate and they don't do an equivalent version for the Smart AC. It is surprising and disappointing they did not make the Smart Ac the same size as the Smart Thermostat and hence compatible.

• Increase limit to accommodate large properties. Would likely need to go hand in hand with possibility of multiple bridges or similar.
  • Exactly what PedroAndrade is saying. I also have one main and two bedroom thermostats. No need so say more, it's exactly what he is saying. I will update my main post.
  • I don't think I can edit my main post. I'm going to take PedroAndrade's post to create a new idea.
  • I've been running this system with 6 TRVs for a couple of months now and have the same issue. Reaches target temperature sometimes upwards of 2 hours prior to scheduled time when Early Start is enabled.

I was encouraged by a comment here, and another on the Reddit post, which suggested Tado support could 'tweak' something from their end to improve this on an individual basis. However when I contacted them the response was that "the Early Start feature is not intended for use with TRV's, only for systems with a single Smart Thermostat".

Not great, as it seems to me the feature could still be useful with TRV's if it were to work properly (and learn). However if it is the position that it's not designed for use with TRV's then this should be made pretty clear in the app and in any documentation. It's not mentioned anywhere that I can see.

• Early start comes on far too early for my smart radiator valves. Like others on this forum, 3 and a half hours in advance, when it takes only 45mins to reach the target temperature.

Complained to tado 4 months ago, and instead of admitting their system was broken they made changes to my trvs that reduced the sensitivity of the devices, so causing worse problems. Had to complain again to get them to revert back. In the end all trvs now have early start disabled.

Waste of gas.

Very poor, tado.
  • Calibrate humidity as with the temperature.

I have three trv’s where the humidity sensor is well out. I suspected they were out so bought another temperature gauge with humidity sensor. The TRVs were well out.
  • I like the idea of the Open Window Detection, but I think it is quite unintelligent as it is now, as it simply detects whether the window is open (I assume from detecting a steep decline in temperature), and then shuts off the heating for a given amount of time (15 min per default, but this time can be adjusted in the app).

However, when the given time period has passed, it turns on the heating again, EVEN if the window is still open, thus wasting huge amounts of heating energy. The explanation I have gotten from Tado is that it turns heating on again to ensure frost protection (even if it is not freezing outside).

Therefore, the request is to improve this algorithm by taking two simple parameters into consideration:

1. The temperature in the room: Is it close to freezing, e.g. below 5 C? If not, it should not activate frost protection and remain shut off until the window is closed
    2. The temperature outside: If the outside temperature outside is above freezing there should not be any reason for the algorithm to activate the frost protection function

I assume a closed window could be detected by a plateauing of the temperature curve.

Best regards,

Sune

• Yes, I agree with the OP.

I'd like to see chrome (and other finish) option for Tado TRVs to match towel radiators as the plain white finish clashes
  • I have the same problem and I was thinking it is actually because they are mounted below the window. In any case - bought external temp sensors so I can manually check before going into panice mode.

The external temp/humidity sensor would probably fix this as well as other problems people have, but unfortunately for now it seems Tado is not working on offering this solution.

• Seconded, this is terrible
  • Seconded. My understanding is that Tado is a learning system but I saw no improvement in this feature so turned it off.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Once a second tado trv has been added to a room, the system automatically allocates the measuring responsibility to the first TRV. Making this optional would permit those hitting the limit on rooms, to have a zone with one schedule BUT with each tado trv performing in accordance with its own surroundings.

• 25C may feel very warm to others and a little cool to others. Old fashioned manual thermostats certainly used to allow temperatures up to 30C or so and as I recall Nest certainly allows temperatures up to 30C. Personally, my comfort level is around 24-25C but sometimes if my apartment is drafty because of high winds outside, a setting of 25C is not "high enough". It feels like Tado is "playing God" here (or at least government) by deciding what is the maximum temperature setting that I am allowed to use and I object to that. You can in any event work-around this restriction by using the temperature offset setting, but why should I have to use a false temperature just to get around this? I would be quite happy if Tado made the maximum temperature a user setting - perhaps with some sort of password protection to stop kids messing with the system - but in the meantime, until you can make a full implementation, please just remove the restriction that should not be there in the first place.

• well my Tado indicates a diference about 10 grades C higher than normal,so if i set my Very smart thermostat to 25,in fact in my room is 15.Cool isn it?
  • Good morning,

I bought 2x Tado AC control v3. I have Carrier Air conditioning in the two floors.

The problem is that the remote control (https://www.electrohogar.net/mandos-aire-acondicionado/a-carrier/b033466h01-frl10.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqqTuBR) is not compatible with the Tado.

Please can you help me?

• It would be outstanding if I could set the auto setting within a set of high and low ranges. Something like “don’t let the temperature fall below 16 but no cooling unless the temperature goes above 25.

This seems fairly easy to implement and would save a fortune in power.
  • Hi Michael,

I was able to solve the issue, the enable the control of DHW temperature setpoint on my app.

An additional question: my boiler is Openterm connected to Tado, due on that the controls on the boiler itself are disabled and I can't change the water temperature of the heating system. Moreover, it seems that the temperature is set to a value and do not decrease as was happening before installing Tado (with the original thermostat).

My question is: is it possible to enable my app even to set the maximum and minimum temperature of the heating system?

• I have the same issue so I have switched off the early start feature and just set the schedule 30 minutes earlier.

• AdyR
    AdyR
    edited January 2020

I guess one problem if they don't switch the heating back on then they don't know if the window has been closed as the temperature might not rise again without a heat source.

A better solution would be to make a window sensor the communicates with the system.

I do this via my Homey automation controller that talks to tado as well as many other devices. When Homey detects a window / door is open, for more that 30 seconds, via a sensor, it sets the relevant tado temperature to a lower setting and then switches back to the smart setting when the window / door is closed.

• Hello,

It happens, sometimes, that my Tado setup goes offline (ex. bad internet connexion overnight).

As usual, always on a bad moment, you discover this like early in the morning when you need a warm shower :)

It would help a lot if, when the system/setup goes offline, I would be warned using a notification on the app. Like most smartphone app's, you can choose the sort of notification.

That way, as soon as something goes wrong, things can be resolved immediately :)

Thanks for your understanding and hopefully quick integration :)

• Yearly summary of savings
  • Because each room has its own thermostat if you come home late when everything is set to night mode temp a boost button in the app that sets a user selectable selection of rooms to a user set temp for a set period would be great so the heating could be turned up for say an hour and then switch back to it set value for that time of day
  • Is there somebody who can help with the below points please. 

I have a tado system set up in my house, comprising of an extension kit, bridge and a smart thermostat.

What I would like to do is fit the same system in the house next door which I also own. The house next door does not have any internet access, so I was hopping to use my Internet access (router box) in the house that has Tado already installed.

Do I need to have internet running, in the house that I intend to install Tado?

Or can I run a cat cable, from my router box to the boiler next door and install the bridge there?

The important question is can I run both independently?

I am willing to buy all three items (extension kit, bridge and a smart thermostat) again for next door and extend my internet to cover the next door with the aid of wifi extenders.

• Sorry to be away so long but as I understand it you NEED either the Smart Thermostat or and extension kit as something has to connect directly to the boiler by wire to switch it off and on.

If you have just the Smart Thermostat then it replaces you original thermostat and the relay turns the boiler off and on.

If you have the extension kit then that connects to the boiler and either the relay switches the boiler of and on or the serial communication sets the boiler temperatures for heating and hot water.

Any extra Smart thermostats and Smart Radiator Thermostats connected to your account and will be able to demand heat as required via the hub to the boiler extension or the smart thermostat that is wired to the boiler.

If you add more than one thermostat / radiator thermostat to a room you have to choose which one controls the room temperature (I believe the Smart Thermostat may take precedence).

As far as I can see, the only way to control the hot water is via an extension kit that is connected with the serial link as I haven't come across any other way to wire into the hot water system to switch it.

For my wet underfloor heating I use a Smart Thermostat where the relay controls the zone valve and the communication link controls the boiler via the hub / extension kit.

When I first got my kit I had 6 Smart Radiator Valves, 1 Smart Thermostat and 1 Extension kit. The installer told me I didn't need the Smart Thermostat, as i had the Extension kit, but as I had it the best place to locate it was in the hall where there were no Smart Radiator Thermostats. The temperature in all the other rooms was controlled by the Smart Radiator Thermostats which could also demand heat if required.

• Same issue with early start system kicking in at 3am for a 6:15am schedule. It actually reaches the target temperature by 4:15am so heating is in effect kept on for 2 hours extra. How is this helping to keep my energy bills down? Quite the opposite I think. Raised issue with Tado support and received the following response from Marlene

"We recommend to use the Early Start function in 1) big rooms with several devices or 2) systems that include an underfloor heating. It is not optimal in smaller rooms like bathrooms who should simply follow the programming you gave them and reach the temperature at the defined time.

By applying the Early Start in radiator zones, which are way faster than these other systems, you're asking your system to apply these pre-heating calculations when they are not required.

The best we can advise is to disable this setting for all the zones that are only controlled by radiators."

WHAT???

Maybe Tado should include that little nugget in their literature as this would have impaceted my decision to purchase Tado or not

The whole purpose in my mind of the early start is so that the Tado system takes into account the weather conditions, the time it takes to heat the rooms up and adjusts the start time based on these results.

The theory being that the heating time is optimised and therefore saves on your household heating bills.

What Tado are now saying to me is that this is not the case and I should revert to the old fashioned way of judging when my heating should come on myself and adjusting accordingly which in my mind, makes the a large part of the Tado system pointless.

Come on Tado....

• I have had on occasion a situation where I have bled radiators in the house, and unknowingly taken the overall system pressure below the boiler cut-off, or in another instance we had a stuck pressure valve within the boiler that required replacement.

In both the above situations, I was alerted to the problem when waking up to a room/house that was significantly colder than it should have been!

It would seem that a fairly easy-to-implement feature would be to use Tado's knowledge of how heat builds up in each room (and cools down), to identify faults with either the radiator valves, or the boiler itself if it sees significant variance from these known history curves/behaviour.

i.e. if Tado knows to get the bedroom from 18deg to 21deg normally takes x amount of time to see an initial rise in temperature, if Tado is calling for heat but sees no increase in temperature at all for x(+allowable tolerance), it should be able to flag a message that a likely fault with the smart thermostat, or the boiler is present....allowing the user to check the house heating system/boiler for error messages.

I would see great benefit in such a feature, it's been on my mind for a long time, today I saw that the Nest thermostats are introducing such a feature to their app, triggering this thread.

• I need to have an option to generate a weekly/monthly/quarterly report to show me exactly how many hours my boiler has been running. The only way now to do it is to go to in each zone, check the daily report, try to figure out by hand when the boiler runs and then add that to all the other days and zones; tl;dr: it's pretty crazy to do it manually.

• Hello,

i was made the following suggestion and challenge on tado spanish fórum.

Before all, i pressent:

My name is Fran. I'm a blind user of tado devices and i'm from Barcelona, Spain.

for read, i using a screen reader software (software that converts a screen output from the text (and some graphics if that's labeled correctly) to braille system and voice sinthesis.

I'm studying the technical information system's administration.

Now, i using two tado devices.

A smartAC v3+ control, and i have got pending to install a Smart thermostat. But (and now talk about the accessibility problema):

The app (for iOS and Android and WebApp) isn't accesible for me and for all blind people. Blind, or low vission.

Why?. Because these apps not comply the accessibility standard's.

On the webapp, exist's standard's published by w3c (WCAG in versión 2.1). In the standard's, the accessibility is warranty.

On the spanish fórum, always say's:

"You can get a full features using a voice control, siri, Google assistant or Alexa."

It is false, because with these functions, i can:

up and down themperatures, start and stop heat and cool, the same with the bouler…

But i can't: install new devices, read; see; and understant the graphical report's (ambiental confort, saving report, quality…)

In the report's of air quality inside, apears a lot of numbers without feel…

The challenge is below:

On you're device (iOS for example), go to settings>general>accessibility and Enable voiceOver.

Also, can tell to siri:

'hey siri, voiceover on'

After it, close your eyes, open (doublé tap on tado app) and play with the app.

try use all features: report's, info, install devices, adjust the themperature (without using voice, using manual input onli).

Can you see that isn't posible it.

Try the same on AndroidOS. In this operating system, the challenge is more complex; because almost buttons not be labeled.

I purpose fix this problema in the future versión (is very important); because the accessibility can help to more persons with a diferent disabilities:

nute, blind, low visión, not listen... And in a some momento of live, we all have some disability and the tado system can accesible for all.

Thank's,

Fran.

• A few times a window has been left open overnight which have caused quite a bit of heat to be wasted. Could you consider implemebring a feature to take care of this? You could fx calculate the heating rate under normal circumstances, and if the heating rate at a given time is much lower (if a window is open), could you then turn off all heating and notify the user with an alarm. Likely a loud one so the user will be woken up if asleep.

This discussion has been closed.