Radiator valve temperature sensor

rgh
rgh

In an attempt to reduce the difference between the room temp and the recorded valve temp, I am trying to establish which part of the valve contains the temperature sensor. I believe there are two sensors and the advice is to have the small opening on top of the valve facing the room. Is it better to have that opening facing away from the room and radiator to reduce the offset.

Has anyone opened up one of these valves.

Until tado produce a remote affordable sensor I am having room differences of at least 2/3 degrees when heating is on. If I use the offset I find the valves shutting off too early, and the opposite applies, so the offset does not work for me. I am now running all my settings at about 23 or 24 degrees and and still things aren’t right.

The algorythym used needs looking at I believe, but that will never happen.

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

@rgh There are a number of threads on this subject and you may wish to add your voice to the main suggestion. Having the opening furthest from the rad (as you have suggested) makes a small difference for vertically mounted versions and horizontal versions appear to be more accurate. An option costing less than buying a room thermostat is to buy a 'spare' tado TRV and place it in a suitable location and use it as a measuring device.

• Yes thanks. I have trawled the other posts and somewhere have seen a cutout of the insides, but can’t for the life of me find it again. I have added my support to the relevant pages and suggestions but Tado don’t seem to listen or improve their product. Buying an additional valve for every room is cost prohibitive, as are room thermostats, but something needs fixing on these valves. Either that or a cheap external thermostat linked to each rad.

Turning the valve sideways has made a smalll difference but more is needed, and changing the valves around is also expensive.

justwish tado would be more involved with their customers.

• I've opened one up and have made my own thermostat from it. Works fine bought a little case battery holder total cost £37.
  • Great but that’s still £370 for my radiators. Really need something about 15-20 max. I’m sure it’s a viable opposition.

• Are you able to pinpoint the location of the sensor in relation to the opening at the top of the thermostat so I can determine the best way to locate the openings position . At present they suggest it facing the room. Does that me@nd the thermostat is facing into the room as well. Not sure if I’ve explained what I’m trying to determine clearly. 😁

• I believe the temp sensor is that little black square with hole in it left of the white plastic cog. It does line up with the hole on top of the TRV. Didn't fully strip the rest to locate second sensor.

• Thanks for your trouble. That’s great. Ideally if I turn the base so that the hole is away from the side of the rad rather than facing into the room, the thermostat will be slightly further away so may help a little.

Had this supply from customer support today after I badgered them several times following their standard response about setting offsets etc. Let’s hope something does come of it, but I recommend everyone bombards customer support with this problem in an attempt to get it resolved. Thanks again

Amar (tado° Help Center) 

25 Jan, 13:06 CET 

Hello,

I can confirm that cases such as your's are being taken care already. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to give you exact information but I can confirm that our engineers are working on a solution.

Kind regards,

Amar

• @rgh Yeah saw your post on the other thread. I tried rotating the TRV made no difference tbh. I think the issue is more to do with the heat rising through the vertical valve thats why horizontal vales are somewhat better.

• Yes I think your right. They need to change the algorithm. Only consolation is that I migrated from hive valves, and their performance was horrendous. Other than the poor offset at least everything else with tado is good for me. And I can always just set the temp higher to get what I need. The hive valves were taking 35 minutes to even open.

• @MHUHX
    Does the answer from Amar (Tado help Center) indicate that an external temperature sensor might be under development ?
  • Read into it what you will😂

Amar (tado° Help Center) 

25 Jan, 13:06 CET 

Hello,

I can confirm that cases such as your's are being taken care already. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to give you exact information but I can confirm that our engineers are working on a solution.

Kind regards,

Amar

Hopefully we will be provided with a solution, but the more people that raise a ticket rather than just post a discussion, the more likely and the more urgency they will give to resolving this problem.

• I have previous contacted Tado with this request but the status could have changed.
  • @Voglhofer I personally think they are more likely to implement a software/algorithm fix rather than an external temp sensor, hopefully I'm wrong.

A nice small one size of an Oreo biscuit running on a button/coin cell for around £15-20 would be ideal.

• MHUHX

Where did you connect the power to?

• @UKChris

On the underside of the pcb there are those spiral spring battery connectors, just attached the wires to these.

• robertwebbe
    edited March 2020
    @MHUHX
    Can you please post a picture of the underside as well?
  • interesting thread and thanks to this i have just cancelled my first order for radiator thermostat