[Released] Launch an external temperature sensor for the Smart Radiator Thermostats

Comments

• Ok so after a few to a from I finally got this answer.

Amar (tado° Help Center) 

25 Jan, 13:06 CET 

Hello,

I can confirm that cases such as your's are being taken care already. Unfortunately, I am not in the position to give you exact information but I can confirm that our engineers are working on a solution.

Kind regards,

Amar

Hopefully we will be provided with a solution, but the more people that raise a ticket rather than just post a discussion, the more likely and the more urgency they will give to resolving this problem.

• +1 same issue here. Will open a ticket as well.
    Finger crossed
  • By the way, I bought a tado Smart Thermostat to use it as an external thermometer for my tado radiator thermostats. Surprisingly, the Smart Thermostat can't be set up without an actual thermostat system! Also, once the manufacturer and the model of the existing home thermostat is selected, there is absolutely no way to remove the Smart Thermostat from the device list. I'm returning it immediately.

As a workaround, I'm buying a new radiator thermostat, I'll put it on the self on the other side of the room, far away from the radiators, and I'll select that thermostat to be the measurement device for the room. Currently, this is the only solution possible.
  • +1

Have several rooms with 2.5+ meters to the ceiling. The radiator termostat turns off way before the actual temperatur is reached in the room.
  • I use a 10 Eu temperatur and humitity sensor in Mi Home to set the tado in HomeKit in Some Rooms, Also the temperatur sensor in the Hue motion sensor Can Be used in HomeKit to trigger the tado. You nede Ewe to setup the rule.
  • @rgh Hopefully what they're saying is true. I keep getting "Unfortunately we are not working on anything at the moment." 😂

• For me, the value of the external sensor would be paired with a non TRV valve (or rather replace the non TRV valve with a smart radiator thermostat but then dictate to use the external sensor for gauging the temperature INSTEAD of the smart radiator thermostat). Being able to control a non wired underfloor heating system.

• They don't care about us, only the money. They suggest to by another ST to use as a sensor.

I don't want to buy a super expensive sensor. I just want an external sensor, that has a correct price.

"""

thank you for contacting us.

For these cases, we normally recommend setting an offset. Alternatively, we recommend adding an ST for it to act as a temperature sensor.

We really appreciate you using tado° and taking the time to help us make it a better product for everyone.

Your feedback helps us determine what we should change, and what features we should reconsider or develop further.

We get so many requests that we might not be able to reply directly, but rest assured, every piece of feedback is read and considered.

If you leave a feature request in the tado° Community, it can be discussed and voted on by our Community members.

If you require assistance, please respond to this email.

"""

• +1 stainless waiting...
  • Please do this. Please listen to your customers. Having now lived with Tado for a while these are the necessary developments. Don’t let your customers down else we will turn from your best sales people to your harshest critics.
  • All the yes to this. I sent a support request the other day basically saying this. Me and my partner are getting very frustrated with the temperature tado shows for the radiator thermostat vs the actual room temp. The offset is useless as it means when the rad is off, it takes longer to come on. I thought a cheap wireless thermometer would deal with the problem, I refuse to fork out £119.99 for each room to get an accurate temp!
  • Given this is the second highest rated request after the manual home/away mode, which has just been released in beta, fingers crossed!!! 😃
  • +1

I've just posted similar idea, as a separate sensor is a must for underfloor heating systems, where the vale is in a different place altogether (manifold, usually in the boler room).

• With regard to the display and controls - this is a fly-by-wire system so shutting off controls is a simple software task. It could be useful in kids rooms, public spaces and similar situations.

The LED matrix display is inexpensive, so are the buttons so I'd say it makes sense to have them, with a software option to disable controls in any device.

• I think what we are all looking for from Tado is the exact equivalent to the following Nest Temperature Sensor.

Ironically it seems Nest/Google only sell this in the US and not Europe.

It should be noted that they also have a three pack of these and if/when Tado finally get round to making one likely customers would also need multiple ones so a three pack would also make sense.

Whilst a cynic might view the current situation as Tado trying to gouge customers by forcing them to get full blown Smart Thermostats they should realise that overall they will make more money by selling a lot more small, simpler, cheaper temperature sensors like the above Nest one. Potentially customers might buy one for nearly every room. It could be such a sensor might add other benefits like better open window detection or humidity for use with the Tado AC Controller.

Clearly Google/Nest saw a similar need and agree with this as they did make one rather than trying to force customers in to getting lots of full blown Nest Thermostats.

• This is a must. The SRV just don't work without a separate sensor and the smart room thermostat is far too expensive to put in each room.

At the moment I have mounted a spare tado SRV to a spare TRV valve I had kicking about to fool Tado to think it is on a radiator, see photo. I pair this to the SRV on the radiator and it works as a room stat. But I would really like to avoid having to do this for each room as it isn't particular nice to look at and the motor activates each time the temperature demand changes.

The addition of a cheap room stat to pair with a SRV would also allow a cheaper SRV to be developed as it would only require the wireless and motor functionality. The temperature sensor, control dial and display wouldn't be required. The removal of these things would allow more space in the body of the SRV to add more sound damping to create a quieter valve, another thing that is desperately required.

• HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭

@RichF Your suggestions make sense and should be followed byTado. There have been so many complaints about the functioning of the srv. A separate cheap sensor would also allow to measure and set temperatures more precisely at 0.1 degrees steps.

• jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭

@RichF Once setup, you can remove the SRT from the valve body, so no need to keep it on the valve. I just setup mine on a radiator, then remove them to use as an exteranl sensor and they continue to work fine this way.

• HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭
    Using a SRT this way is really too expensive and not smart at all. You have buy an extra SRT and use only a small part of its technology. From a design point of view is having a SRT on the table no good either. Tado should provide a better and cheaper solution for the shortcomings of their products! Especially when so many people complain about it (although Tado denies that there are many complaints).
  • This is needed. My radiator thermostat is basically useless as it very quickly gets up to temperature when the radiator goes on and the it switches off with the room still far from desired temperature.
  • I recently added my first SRV to my system and quickly discovered this issue. Asked support what the fix was and had a similar reply to others on here:

Thank you for contacting us.

We do recommend locating a tado° Smart Thermostat in the same place as the Smart Radiator Thermostat. This way, the room temperature will be read better as the device will not be too close to the radiator.

You can simply remove the radiator thermostat and add it again to assign it to the same room as the Smart thermostat.

I followed up telling them that spending another £100 per room just to get the SRV to work as described was not an option and had the following reply.

The other suggestion is to use an offset, which you have already tried. Due to the natural location of the radiator thermostat, it can happen that the radiator thermostat reads differently. An alternative option is to add an additional Smart thermostat so that it can act as a temperature sensor.

We really appreciate you using tado° and taking the time to help us make it a better product for everyone.

Your feedback helps us determine what we should change, and what features we should reconsider or develop further.

We get so many requests that we might not be able to reply directly, but rest assured, every piece of feedback is read and considered.

So not very encouraging that anything is going to change any time soon. 🙄

• AdzLill
    AdzLill ✭✭✭
    I have several SRVs at home and a Smart thermostat, but I’m close to switching to a different manufacturer altogether if this doesn’t become an option. I’m fed up of having my ear chewed off by my other half for the rooms being too cold or too warm because the radiator valves don’t know what they are doing. The whole point of using tado is to save money and look after the environment. But it’s doing neither. Why can’t we have external sensors with buying a £100 overkill stat????????

If they released this they would blow the competition out of the water.
  • Not sure whether this is to old, but I guess there hasn't been found a solution for a radiator only house?
  • Chimmy
    Chimmy
    edited April 2020

It's already possible to correct the temperature from an external sensor. (I use SmartThings.) We just need a (seemingly) small change to the firmware to make it viable. You can upvote that request here. It's a much faster solution than creating a whole new product

• How would you do that ? "correct from external sensor"?

• What external sensor are you using?
  • Jacopo2
    Jacopo2 ✭✭✭
    @Victoroos, by automatically updating the offset at given intervals; by using the API, we can apply offsets with 2 decimal places even for TRVs
  • My large livingroom with 3 radiators was also too cold, although set to 25C. 2 thermostats are mounted vertically, having one of those control the temp was awful. Switching control to the horizontally mounted thermostat helped. I finally purchased a wall mounted smart thermostat - that fixed it.
    On top of that, the regulation is now much more even, with hours on end with e.g. “one bar”, before it was “full on” / “full off” 1-2 times per hour.
    If a cheap simple Remote sensor was available, I would place one in every room.
  • I, like GreenEnthusiast have had to put a smart thermostat in my large rooms with 2 rads with vertical srv's installed. 3 smart thermostats in the house now. Expensive but have much better regulation of heat, and far more efficient. Wife is happy now, actually saying she likes the heating system now. A small external sensor that's cheaper is what Tado needs to make it an excellent system to beat the competition and keep its customers loyal and happy. Come on Tado, what are you playing at here?
  • @ajsamuels I use Samsung IM6001-MTP02 to correct the temperature (as well as turn off the radiator when motion isn't detected for an hour) but the (noisy & power consuming) motor operates each time the offset is set. Happy to write a step by step once the change to the firmware is made