Inaccurate temperature readings

Good morning

My Tado TRVs and the main Smart Thermostat consistently over-estimate the temperature.

The TRVs are miles out. I placed another small thermometer right next to the TRV, so that it was measuring the same location and the TRV measured two or three degrees warmer than the non-Tado thermometer.

My Smart Thermostat consistently records about one degree warmer than an independent thermometer.

At the moment I am trying to address this by asking Tado to heat to a higher temperature.

Is there a better solution than this? Are my Tado thermostats unusually inaccurate or is this a general issue?

Ed

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

@edcldn Hello. Yes a common issue but more about the tado TRV rather than the Room Thermostats. There are a number of threads on here and, particularly a thread asking tado to develop a cheap external thermostat to use as measuring device for the radiators. You may wish to add your voice there.

• There is a setting where you can adjust the temperature either way +/- so for example if its reporting 20 degrees and its actually only 18, you can set it to -2

• Thanks. You might hope that a “smart” thermostat producer might value accuracy...
  • I installed two stats last week and while I'm still figuring out the finer details if schedules etc I still cannot get over how such an expensive stat cannot read temp or humidity correctly. Both I have installed are reading 1.3 degrees and 2 degrees over the actual room temp which I took with a laboratory temp monitor in exactly the same location.
    Really disappointing that the main function or reading temp is so far out. Both are also between 15/20% out reading room humidity. I have stuck the two old Siemens/non brand stats up beside and both read correct temp in the same location
  • It's because the trvs are so close to the heat source so they are accurate in reality there trv should come with a small device included that you put in the room to get to desired tempature
  • There are no tado TRVs on my system yet and I doubt I will bother paying for them when the readings are so inaccurate. Just standard danfoss. It is a wall mounted tado stat. Is this day and age a €2 temp sensor from AliExpress can give a more accurate reading than Tado. Again I can't understand how this product gets past QC with readings like this
  • alex1979
    alex1979
    edited February 2023
    You're lucky it's only 1-2 degrees out. In my bedroom the thermostat is regularly reading +8 degrees compared to the baby temp monitor I've purchased. Really irritating as I have to bump the temp up by over 8 degrees to compensate and even then still isn't enough. Assume it's because the trv is next to radiator, but this is obvious design flaw so needs a remedy.
  • My (wall mounted) smart thermostat reads a couple of degrees above a sensor I have in the same room. You can overlay the graphs and they match very well.

• vmguru
    vmguru
    edited February 2023

My experience of Tado TRVs temperatures is very bad and wild not fit for purpose I ended up using an external Room Thermostats rather than TRV. These Room Thermostats are well overpriced!