The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• I would love it I could connect a Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detector (like Nest Protect) to my Tado in order to get more data on the air comfort.

• Exactly what the title says, would be handy to see temp and humidity at a glance for each room.
  • thealiendad
    edited February 2020
    It would be useful to be able to use an image as the background on each Individual valve so it is quicker to recognise if you want to check a particular location.
  • HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

In the past two years I've tried early start several times. Unfortunately it never worked the way it should. Tado people told me not to switch on early start, in spite of the fact that it was one of the (not so unique) selling points when I bought the TVRs in 2017.

• Tado don't do anything along these lines nor do they have any direct integrations with a suitable product.

What you can do is get one of the following or similar which support HomeKit and then it and Tado would both be listed in HomeKit and you could define HomeKit rules using both.

• Would be great to be able to group rooms e.g. bedrooms so they can have the same schedule without having to do individual for each one

Alternatively, the ability to copy another room's schedule would be just as useful
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@davidlyall Hello. You can already group rooms and have them all on the same schedule. Invent a new room (e.g. Groupee!) and transfer all your tado devices from the 2 or more 'old' rooms. The disadvantage is that one of the tado devices has to be nominated as the measuring device.

The issue of schedule copying has its own thread with many agreeing the need. Perhaps you would wish to add your voice there.

• Thanks samd

I hadn't realised it wad possible to group already but having only one room measure the temp defeats the point.

I'll find the post on schedule copying and add my vote

Thanks
  • I frequently have guests, airbnb guests, friends, and other random people staying at my place.

Giving them access to Tado makes their life easy because they don't have to deal with a thermostat.. and the graph is an amazing feature of the application, and very useful for me, as a home owner, to check on my house.

But it also exposes 6 years of my at home/not at home routines. I feel very uncomfortable by not being able to disable this level of access to my own personal data, as it opens many potential data abuse scenarios and in general is a privacy nightmare.

How about a "guest" mode which has location services enabled, but which does not get access to the graph. That feature should just not be there for such a user.

Thanks!

• Apart from setting a schedule when I THINK I'll be in a room, could be more intelligent to have a sensor in each room that doesn't detect motion, per se, but the presence of someone in a room and therefore the schedule be maintained /or overridden.

• true story. A notification would've helped.

• Hi Guys,

New to the forum here. One of my biggest irritations about Tado is that when the household members depart together the notification to switch to Away mode is only awarded to one household member.

It would be great to be able to have the option to notify all household members to ask if the status should be changed to 'Away'.
  • It would be nice to have visibility of the extension kit as a panel on the home screen, so that we can see if the boiler heating mode is on or off. An option to hide this maybe for those who do not want to see it.
  • Could you explain a little more please? Ie - the Issue or problem you’re experiencing?

We find that when any one of our household returns, “away mode” is automatically cancelled.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@StephenTrooper The OP is talking about the situation that occurs when you do not purchase auto home/away.

• Agreed. And to add to that, maybe icons or different coloured LEDs on the unit to indicate the status
  • Reg69
    Reg69
    edited February 2020

For those who have a multi zone heat pump capable of making hot and cold it would be interesting to add the following function in the application and in the firmware of the thermostats.

Add in the application a button or a slide switch as Apple can do to simply reverse the behavior of dry contact:

1) Closes when BELOW the temperature programmed for HEATING mode (heating)

2) Closes when ABOVE the temperature programmed for the COOLING mode (colling)

There is NO hardware to change but just a little programming ... In the application and in the firmware.

With this simple function it opens the compatibility of TADOs to all multi-zone heat pumps which start up on their own as soon as at least one of the zones is in demand.

The changeover to cooling mode by itself is programmed manually on the main control of the ducts and not on the thermostats

• I used to have Nest which I replaced with Tado which also had early start (actually called pre-heat).

Big difference is that you can limit Nest to how long before the scheduled time it can start to pre-heat.

As I know my heating needs 75 minutes to reach temperature, I used to have it set to 2 hours, that way, if it was an especially cold night it had some leeway to start heating earlier but not by 3 to 4 hours. as Tado seems to think it needs to do even on a normal night.

After a month, Nest always reliably, started heating at about 90 minutes before scheduled time, that seems to me to be a proper learning system

Tado, maybe you can introduce a user defined limit on early start too or maybe head hunt whoever wrote the early start algorithm for Nest 😛

• Right, bear with me on this idea, it's simple technically but not to explain...
    My bathroom and attic are cold and not well insulated so I want the radiators to be on as much as possible but not control the heating as much as they do. Understand? So, if I set the temperature to 16'C which is a minimum, the heating turns on and off every hour at least but when it reaches 16'C the heating turns off AND the Radiator valve closes. When another room turns the heating on the valve in my bathroom radiator is still closed so doesn't take advantage of the heating being on. I want the 16'C to be a minimum not min and max on this radiator. I am tempted to remove the valve press inside the unit to overcome this but a simple change to the app allowing min and max temperatures or open valve option would be much more flexible!
  • Agree. We have switched off nearly Start for these reasons... Wasted heat and Waking up at 3am for what should be 6am.
    A simple change would allow early start to be configurable by ME to 30 mins not the Algorithm at 2-3 hours.
  • Would be useful. Sounds the same as this request: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/473/trv-mode Make sure to click the up arrow to add your vote.

• Without this function, it is useless for me because of the noise and complaints of neighbors. It should be able to be activated or deactivated in the schedules.
  • Hello I’m trying to set up a routine with Alexa and my Tado heating system.

I want to be able to have the heating remain on if we have babysitters in looking after the kids while we are out.

I have 5 separate radiator valves that control different zones in the home.

If I leave the house the system switches to “away” mode but I want to be able to say a voice command to Alexa that switches each zone to a desired temperature which will remain in place even when my location shows as “away”. When I give a second voice command on my return I want the system to revert to the preset schedule.

Can this be achieved and if so can you help me set it up?
  • DavidHoffman
    edited February 2020

From time to time I go away to places where there is no internet connection. In winter the house temperature falls to 7 degrees or less. When I return I may only pick up an internet connection an hour or two before I get home and so the house is still quite cold. What would be useful would be a timer that I could set days or weeks in advance (like a video recorder) so that I could set the system to start & stop at a specified time. This would also allow me in advance to set the Tado to come on and go off when my cleaner or other service will be in the house during my absence and when I have no connection.

• From time to time I go away to places where there is no internet connection. In winter the house temperature falls to 10 degrees or less. When I return I may only pick up an internet connection an hour or two before I get home and so the house is still quite cold. What would be useful would be a timer that I could set days or weeks in advance (like a video recorder) so that I could set the system to start & stop at a specified time. This would also allow me in advance to set the Tado to come on and go off when my cleaner or other service will be in the house during my absence and when I have no connection.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@DavidHoffman I think the long thread on Manual Control of home and away may well cover your points. Tado have said this is on the way but no timeframe yet.

• Apple added support for devices with multiple sensors to show them separetly, in this case the humidity sensors on the thermostats. Please add the option to choose if we want to show as one or separetly. With this option the humidity sensors i useable for other automations and actions. I have a lot of other HomeKit devices and they have all added this option, should not be a very big effort to fix this. Please😃
  • ArnaudBo
    ArnaudBo
    edited February 2020
    I have gave the same issue.
    In rooms where only trv is present start around 1,5 hour too early.
    In the only room where I have the thermostat it starts too late by around 30 minutes.
    Early start is not the main reason I bought tado but I find this also rather annoying combined to the fact that in the rooms with only trv the temperature always rises first higher than asked temperature.
    For economies on co2 this is not great :-(
    Is there really an intelligent algorithm behind the trvs?
  • I too have the exact same issue, had tado since Nov 2019 and my the early start is heating my house to the set temperature 2hrs before the desired smart schedule time.
    Wasting my gas!
  • By splitting the existing radiator thermostat into 2 separate parts: valve and room thermometer/controller you'd get a device that can be used with traditional radiators as well as with underfloor heating systems.

In traditional systems the controller (thermometer+display+temperature knob/buttons) can be placed in a convenient spot rather than on the radiator.

In underfloor heating systems valve is physically in a different room so current radiator valves can not be used but split devices could. The underfloor heating systems (water, not electric) has multiple valves, controlling multiple rooms, attached to a manifold, usually in a boiler room, so measuring the temperature there doesn't work.

This discussion has been closed.