Boiler / pump on and off every few minutes

I've just installed Tado smart thermostats and TRVs in our house.

When we are requesting heat in a room, the radiator does work and heat up as expected and go off at the right temperature, but while on, the boiler or boiler pump switches on and off every few minutes. I'm worried that this will lead to excessive wear and tear and ultimately failure over time.

Tado say: "Please note that your tado° will need a short period of time to adjust (normally a couple of weeks), so please observe it and let us know if there is still an issue then." They also confirm that the Tado devices are working as intended.

However, this problem doesn't seem to be going away. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Answers

• Hi that sounds like what's happening. Our boiler is a year old. It's usually when we have just 1 or 2 radiators requesting heat. Do you know if anything can be done about it?
  • @seventen710 Hi, how is your thermostat working now please? Did it learn something and does it work better now? I have similar problem as you did. I had the thermostat connected for 2 days and it constantly turned the boiler on and off for just 2-3 minutes. So I disconnected it and put the old thermostat back.

• Hi @andertl the issue never really went away fully. The boiler does come on and off frequently when heating one room. However, it does happen less than it used to so much so that I don't really notice it as much. We've had the Tado system installed for a while now and no issues with the boiler (yet).
  • I've installed a Tado wired thermostat in relay mode in the last few days, replacing an old broken thermostat that essentially behaved as a manual switch and didn't respond to temperature change at all.

I'm a little bit worried about the short running of my boiler while temperature is being maintained. It's not the newest boiler in the world, a bobby basic on/off thing (Baxi Solo 12 HE). Not sure if I should be concerned, or if I am just struggling to get used to this vs my boiler being almost always on?

• I've installed a Tado wired thermostat in relay mode in the last few days, replacing an old broken thermostat that essentially behaved as a manual switch and didn't respond to temperature change at all.

I'm a little bit worried about the short running of my boiler while temperature is being maintained. It's not the newest boiler in the world, a bobby basic on/off thing (Baxi Solo 12 HE). Don't know if I should be concerned, or am I just struggling to get used to this vs my boiler being almost always on...

I'm a little bit worried about the short running of my boiler while temperature is being maintained. It's not the newest boiler in the world, a bobby basic on/off thing (Baxi Solo 12 HE). Don't know if I should be concerned, or am I just struggling to get used to this vs my boiler being almost always on...