Samsung Smartthings

Hey

How do i get Tado radiator to work with Samsung Smartthings - I tried both smartthings app(classic) but no luck :(

8 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• FrankFrank | Admin

Hi @Peterfaester

We don't have any plans at this stage to be compatible with Samsung Smartthings, but I've moved this to the Suggestions section so that this can get some feedback from the community to help us change our minds 😉

Best regards,

Frank

• @Frank

Hi, I literally just joined the community to come and post a request for Smartthings support and low and behold the very first post in the list was a request from @Peterfaester for the very same thing. :)

I would therefore obviously echo Peter's request for this.

For what it's worth a Smartthings user has written an independent 'smartapp' for Smartthings to give some capabilities. However this only works with the older 'classic' Smartthings app and not the newer app.

See - https://github.com/fuzzysb/Tado

and - https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-tado-connect/65465

• Am amazed and disappointed that's there's no Smartthings integration. I'd been using Stringify for my home automation (inc Tado) but that service ceases at the end of June so I went looking for new integration and control. Tado are making a big mistake here. If you can't integrate for commercial or other reasons then at least open the service up so that Smartthings Classic and community-written code is not the only way in.

• +1 for a SmartThings integration.

I would like to be able to turn off the hot water as part of the SmartThings Goodnight routine or when the mode changes to Night. And similarly activate the hot water preheat on my combi when I run the SmartThings Good Morning routine.

Currently to do those things requires an ugly work around of using a virtual switch in SmartThings which triggers an IFTTT applet.

• Other than the third-party Smartthings app I mentioned above another potential approach is as follows.

1. There are some 'apps' for HomeAssistant a free open source smart home package which allow HomeAssistant to talk to Tado products. In at least some of these cases these also have limitations but they might have fewer such issues than the Smartthings app I referred to. Once you have Tado working with HomeAssistant it is then possible to use MQTT on both HomeAssistant and Smartthings to allow Smartthings to use the HomeAssistant entries
    2. It is uniquely possible to add HomeKit devices to HomeAssistant. (Most other systems only do the opposite of converting non-HomeKit devices to be available to HomeKit.) You could therefore add Tado to HomeAssistant as a HomeKit device and again use MQTT between HomeAssistant and Smartthings. However currently HomeKit does not support some functions - especially for the Tado AC v3 and therefore you still might have limitations

Even the official Tado IFTTT channel has limitations. :(

Obviously the most desirable solution would be for Tado to improve their connectivity to various smart home platforms in general. I can accept they might not be able to do all of them or all at the same time but other than HomeKit and IFTTT arguable they have done none. (Technically Alexa and Google Assistant are not smart home platforms but rather they are smart assistants.)

Since Tado are not it seems working on a big stream of new products this is perhaps an area where they could put more effort.

PS. I am aware that in theory since Tado now have an API potentially customers could write such integration themselves. I am also aware 'early adopters' might be more likely to be people with the skills needed to do that but arguably the smart home market has evolved a bit beyond the early adoption stage and now the majority of customers may not be your typical hacker profile.

• zoharzohar
    edited August 19

+1

I'm about to get SmartThings and connect my home, and the first things I would like to get are smart radiator thermostats and this seems a good one. I don't wish to have lots of hubs in the house, but one, so the thermostats I go for would need to be one that is would support SmartThings and be smart enough. As this seems like a good choice, its a shame to drop it. So please consider the above.

• @zohar

For what its worth the possible choices for smart radiator valves might be as follows.

1. Tado
    2. Netatmo
    3. (various) Z-Wave
    4. others - generally proprietary e.g. Drayton Wiser, Honeywell, Bosch, etc.

Of these Z-Wave would be the easiest to add to Smartthings currently although I would be of the view that such valves as part of a smart heating system would be significantly inferior to Tado. All the others would require a third-party app/device handler and likely all would be unofficial ones - if available at all.