Is this an SRT battery fault ??🤔

Options

Twice in two days one of my rooms has continued to heat to 27+ degrees when scheduled for 20 degrees.........no accidental changes made to room settings. Also there is no temperature offset in action in this room.

The radiator was continuing to heat up although the room was not 'calling' for heat.

See attached screenshot.........

Last night I had to turn off the offending room to stop it from continuing to heat.......could this be a battery issue although there is no low battery being indicated and no 'fault' showing in "Care & Protect"........

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.....cheers.

Best Answer

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@samd .........done the swap over and also battery change, and the "Fault" did not move to the other radiator.........so that rules out.......

1. Batteries low

2. SRT faulty

So it appears to be a Sticking TRV on the radiator.

I'm just doing a final check to confirm that that's the culprit......heating system is now off to allow the 'issue' radiator to cool off so that I can turn on the heating to 1 different room and see if the 'faulty' TRV allows the radiator to get hot......then out with the WD40 to see if I can release the TRV ......if not it's a call to my local plumber.

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ## UPDATE ##
    Anyone got an opinion ?? 🤔
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@GrayDav4276 I am as stumped as you but despite the battery showing good, I would be tempted to change them as first option. Trouble is I have no idea what 2 option would be. tado can interrogate your system so Support might be your only way forward - sorry.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @samd yeah I'm gonna change the batteries as a first option.....by the way it happened again tonight 27 degrees again, I had to drop the temperature to 'Frost Protection' to stop the radiator from continuing to heat up. My only other thought is that the radiator valve is sticking open.....I don't actually think it's that tho' because it's ok for most of the day.... 🤔

I'm currently in contact with Tado Support over a couple of other issues (which may turn out to be related).....
    1. Non 'breathing Led' on my Extension Kit
    2. Wireless Smart Thermostat going over temperature by over 1 full degree and still 'calling for heat'

I need to get to the bottom of this/these issues ASAP 🤮
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This has happened again....for the 4th time.
    Tues - Thur - Fri & today Sat.....all at different times.

The only reason(s) that I can see are.....
    1. Batteries low
    2. SRT faulty
    3. Sticking radiator TRV

I'm going to swap two SRT's over (and check TRV valve PIN) to rule out 2 & 3....
    Then change batteries to rule out 1

Hopefully I will get a result....one way or another.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@GrayDav4276 Good luck and keep us posted.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@GrayDav4276 That's looking promising - great feeling when faults are sorted.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @samd ,

Just to inform that I've confirmed that the radiator TRV was sticking open when it got hot.....that's why it didn't happen every time at the beginning.

I have 'temporarily' re-fitted a dumb TRV head and closed down the lock shield (very slightly open) and this slows the flow of water through the radiator.....which means that the radiator is only getting slightly warm and does not try to melt down.

Regarding my other issues with the Ext Kit and Wireless Thermostat.......unfortunately that's still an ongoing investigation....by me. I still have to perform a re-set on both devices every day to get some semblance of correct performance.........

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @GrayDav4276
    I find that sometimes I have to take the batteries out of TRVs to force a recalibration if it's not shutting the valve off properly.
    Also, using a set of pliers to work the pin also helps fix sticking, but don't pull too hard as they can come out and leak water. Worth putting some silicone grease on the pin at the same time. Usually gets them working again.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Pete,
    Thanks for the heads up m8
    Done all of that....especially the Vale pin bit....it's definitely jammed open. That's all in hand now.....just waiting to "suss" the Ext Kit and Wireless Thermostat problems.....I'll get it all sorted soon.
    Cheers