How much does the energy price affect your energy consumption?

Options
wateroakley
wateroakley ✭✭✭

UK domestic gas consumption in 2022 reduced 15% compared to the previous five years (2017-2021). The downwards trend continued in 2023 and reduced 21%.

Statistically, the 2011-23 CORRELATION of UK domestic gas consumption with PRICE is -0.61 (strong). The CORRELATION with annual TEMPERATURE (CET) is -0.88 (very strong).

Q. Did your 2022 and 2023 energy consumption change because of PRICE or SOMETHING ELSE?

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Really quite ashamed that I cannot answer your question! So tied up with solar detail - spreadsheets galore, that cheap old gas, with tado only heating where required, gets a back seat. Sorry!

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

@samd What are you thinking of installing for solar? We’re three months in with solar.

The ‘actual’ spreadsheet is somewhat different to my original analysis and very different to the example ROI provided by the contractor. The big difference ‘actual’ to the ‘plan’ is that we can import to the battery from the grid overnight at 7.5p per kWh and export solar to the grid at 15p. The solar runs the house and tops up the battery. Excess solar goes to the eddi to heat the HW during the day and save 6.5p for gas, or choose to export for 15p. The Zappi and podpoint can be set to charge the EVs at 7.5p overnight or use excess during the day. However, the EVs don’t like the solar excess fluctuating to near zero.

Good luck with whatever you do.

• SteveIreland
    Options

Solar has reduced my oil consumption markedly.

Mainly because of the MyEnergi Eddi that diverts all excess solar energy into my hot water tank via immersion.

In the summer, I don't use my oil boiler.

In the winter, Eddi still pushes what excess I get into the tank, it reduces the amount of oil needed to heat the tank.

I've halved my oil consumption annually.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited May 8
    Options

Ditto. We are unsure about enrgy savings or $$. Playing with solar and eddi.

• SteveIreland
    edited May 9
    Options

Solar was one of our better decisions. In Ireland we got a €2500 grant bringing the cost to €6500 for 4.5kW/h panels. We are on for a 3 year payback due mostly to the high cost of energy. We also get 21c per kW/h feed in tariff for our excess which really helps our summer bills.

We're also on a "free power Saturday" tariff which sees us doing all our cooking, washing, tumble drying and electric heating for one day out of seven. That cuts our energy usage by a minimum of 14% a week alone (its actually much higher than this in practice).

Its a shame I cannot use the Tado Energy IQ thing, but too many variable are in place here, its impossible to calculate. Before I got the Tado system I had Kasa Smart TRVs fitted. They got returned (long story), but while they were fitted the oil consumption reduction was huge. I am hoping the Tado system will have the same sort of saving associated with it as I got with Kasa, and cannot see why not. The only difference is the whole system is now controlled by Tado rather than a dumb Horstmann Controller.

With solar, and smart TRVs, our oil consumption has reduced markedly, from filing a 650 litre oil tank the equivalent of 3.3 times per year to filling it the equivalent of 1.3 times a year. That said, the cost hasn't reduced that much as in the same time frame 500 litres of oil has risen from €250 to as much as €750 (currently €510), but we just have to console ourselves as to how much we would be paying now without solar or a smart heating system.

Points to remember is that solar brings down not only the electricity bills but the oil consumption as well. Plus there is that incalculable effect, the one that pushes you to try to economise further (how far down can I turn all the TRVs and the thermostats?), which gets addictive, and that's not a bad thing.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

@SteveIreland Glad to hear that you are happy with the energy/oil outcomes and 'free Saturday'.

SWMBO has control of the room temperatures, hot water and home/away. The Tado ROI was less than 12 months and our annual energy savings are better than 50%. The 7.5kW solar array and 10kWh battery was a lot more expensive. Today, everything is being driven off the solar - kettle, dishwasher, hot water, EV charger - and sending 1.7kW to the grid.

Not convinced of additional benefits from Energy IQ thingy compared to a spreadsheet of the monthly and daily data?

• Bridged
    Options
    I’ve switched to a heat pump. Still have a gas boiler as back up but gas consumption is down by more than 60% while electricity consumption has more than doubled. Total number of Kw/hrs of energy, regardless of source, has plummeted because of the efficiency of the heat pump.
  • SteveIreland
    Options

We considered a Heat Pump back in 2017 when we built our house, but sadly the cost was prohibitive. The oil boiler was 10% the cost of the Heat Pump.

It was the same when we looked at adding a battery to the solar panels, the cost was again prohibitive due to several factors including our age! With Ireland offering a decent feed in tariff, its like the grid is our battery, so payback on the battery would be longer than the average adult lifespan for us. Or, put another way, we would likely be dead by the time we recovered the outlay 😂

Same with the Heat Pump. We would have to change 12 radiators and the hot water cylinder, plus the associated costs of plumbers and electricians, again we would be dead before we got payback (even with the grant). However, we did insulate the house to B1 (a few points off A3), so the next owner will be able to do so easily enough.

It's important to consider all costs and timescales when making large purchases like these. Plus of course how long you intend to stay in the property etc. For us, living in the last house we will ever buy, solar was a good idea as at the time payback was 5 years (now nearer 3). But of course for others, younger than us or with more disposable income and are just happy to do their bit for the environment, of course batteries and Heat Pumps are a good idea and certainly are the future.