System going haywire

Hi all. Have had tado for a while now, fairly standard set up with radiator thermostats on most radiators, extension kit, smart thermostat on the wall. Found the most central point in the home for the internet bridge, powerline adapter to get ethernet. And it was all working pretty nicely. Randomly yesterday something happened and we lost connection to the cloud, all remote access gone. A few hours of resetting and relocating the internet bridge, finally got comms back on most devices. (Main problem was finding somewhere to communicate well with the extension kit which is the zone controller).

But I cannot get the heating to turn off. I've turned off all rooms on the app (just one room left where the radiator thermostat is out of range). But something keeps telling my boiler to turn on, and two of the rooms are red hot, even though they're turned off on the app.

Why is tado telling my boiler to provide heat even when all of the rooms are turned off? Most of the radiators are cold, so the radiator valves are mostly working. Aside from completely turning the boiler off, I'm at a loss as to how I can stop tado from cooking me and the family. Could the room that has no remote connection still be causing the boiler to come on, even though it is manually turned off?

Note in the screenshot that the entrance doesn't have a smart valve on the radiator, it is controlled by the wall mounted thermostat turning the boiler on and off. Even the background settings are only asking the rooms to be 20-21oC, but when I took that screenshot the boiler was on.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Paddy1983 from what you've said, my guess would be that when the connection was lost yesterday the extension kit went into its "lost signal" mode whereby it maintained the current heating level, whatever that was at the time.

When you eventually got most devices reconnected they all signalled to not request heat. However, that last device never reconnected and so the extension kit assumed heat was still needed and didn't switch the boiler off. This is all a guess based on my understanding of some of the oddities with tado.

As a side comment, for those two rooms that were showing as getting hot, the app suggests tado knows those should be off, so their valves should be shut completely. If the radiators were getting hot in those rooms then perhaps those two valves aren't fully closing, and are allowing some hot water in?

Answers

• Interestingly as a follow-up, I just took the smart thermostat off the room that was out of range and put it nearer to the internet bridge so it connected. And the boiler turned off immediately. So it must be something to do with that room/thermostat?

I don't get it - the thermostat was turned to 'off' manually, the radiator is cold, the room set point is 20oC but the actually temperature was nearly 22, yet it still appears to be asking for the boiler to turn on????

• Yeah that's a side issue we're dealing with, haha. The entrance doesn't have a smart valve, so it comes on whenever any of the radiators request heat in the house. But to be honest I don't mind that, it's the coldest biggest room and we're always drying clothes on that radiator, so if it heats up a few times a day I'm not too bothered.

The one in the living room always seemed to have an overheating problem, but recalibrated the valve last week and it seemed to fix it and it was controlling temperature well again. Its caused problems last night, maybe when the pipes/valves are particularly hot the valve can't quite close properly.

Do you (or anyone!) know anything about having the extension kit as the zone controller for all of the thermostatic valves? Is there any benefit to that or can they be set as standalone items? I noticed that seems to be an option now in the settings.

• Did you fix this? I have a similar issue where I ask Tado to turn all rooms off however one room remains requesting heat (confirmed in Heating Activity screen) even though home screen says that room is actually off
  • I think my issue was as Cbd20 suggested, I had an out of range room that was stuck in heat mode. I fixed it by removing the radiator valve and putting it closer to the bridge until it reconnected, then turning all rooms off again. But if all of your rooms and devices are connected then I don’t think it’s quite the same issue… good luck though, it’s a nightmare when things go wrong with no obvious fix!
  • Ah good to hear you've fixed it! Yes doesn't sound like the same issue.. I don't have any connectivity issues