Smart TRVs and main SMART thermostat

I am keen to know how these work together; ie. which one takes precedent.

Lets say the temp in my hall (where the SMART thermostat is) is higher than the thermostat is set at - ie. boiler is not on. In one room the temperature is lower than than the temp setting on the radiator SMART TRV - will the boiler come on?

Basically - do the radiator SMART TRVs override the 'main' thermostat?

Comments

• Thanks for that explanation. Do you know if this is true of alternatives to tado - ie. Drayton Riser, Hive?

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Sorry. I have no knowledge of other brands. My research was very recent, but very brief. I didn't really give other brands any consideration. Tado was the first system I saw demonstrated and reviewed on a few YouTube videos and I liked what I saw.

In fact, when I first installed Tado, earlier this month, I started with only seven SRTs to replace my 33 year old and entirely non-functional dumb thermostats on the rads. While this was a massive improvement immediately it was only two days later that I bought the smart wired thermostat and realised the extra benefits of remote room boiler demand/control

While switching out the old thermostat/timer I also took the opportunity to change the boiler control from a simple on/off mains relay to e-Bus. Now the boiler temperature is highly modulated by Tado to match the actual heating demands and to maximise condensing boiler efficiency with cooler return temperatures than previously.

• Thanks, also will the SMART TRVs work in the same way with my (existing) standard thermostat in the hall? Wondering what SMART functionality on the main thermostat gives me if I can control the temperature of ALL radiators (if I get SMART TRVs for all)?

• @dpardoe You need the Tado smart thermostat so that it can control the boiler as and when the radiators request heat.

If you stick with a dumb hall timer/thermostat then Tado cannot instruct the boiler to do anything and the radiator SRTs will not be able to request heat. They will simply act like dumb TRVs, albeit with remote monitoring, scheduling and adjustment from the app. The radiators will only be able to get heat if the hall is too cold and the hall thermostat switches the boiler on for its own needs. This could still be quite a worthwhile solution, but not as smart or effective as including the smart thermostat to control the boiler.

• Thats exactly what I needed to know. So the tado SMART thermostat and tado SMART TRVs work in tandem. The scenario in my question at the outset is what I would get if I kept the existing hall thermostat and just added SMART TRVs to the radiators.