Adding a 2nd Wired Thermostat

Options

Hi all, newbie here.

I've had Starter Kit and Wired Thermostat (replacing an old Honeywell wired system) for some time, all working well.

I've just fitted wet UFH in an extension and, after taking advice from Tado, bought an additional wired thermostat to control it, BUT

having fitted it and wiring it to the new 3 way valve (HW, existing CH and new UFH) and then installing it (though it kept asking me how the "old" one was wired), I can't get it to control the UFH.

When I call for heat in the UFH zone, it puts the heating on in the rest of the house, and when I call for heat in the rest of the house nothing happens.

What have I done wrong?

Nick

Answers

• TomNavman
    Options

Are you running smart TRVs in the rest of the house? If so, you need to configure which thermostat needs to turn on when the smart TRV calls for heat. This is done under settings - Rooms & Devices then click on the room. You need to set the "Zone Controller". So for all the rooms without UFH, that would be the original thermostat and for the UFH room it will be the new wired thermostat.

Hope this helps!

• Hi Tom, thanks for your reply

I don’t have any smart TRVs fitted at all, so I need them? I thought that the original wired thermostat would continue to act as the thermostat for the rest of the house.

After playing around last night it seems that the new thermostat is firing up the pump for the UFH, but not triggering the boiler.

I’ve tried changing the zone controller for the new thermostat but it’s greyed out - seems to me this might be the key?
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

If your system is using wired smart thermostats then you can replace them with old fashioned dumb thermostats (or any switch) to verify the two zones work properly. If they do it’s a problem with the App configuration, otherwise it’s a problem with your wiring.

• So the second (new) thermostat is wired to the zone valve - should it be installed as a wireless thermostat on the app?

This way I can set it up with the zone controller as the extension kit (which is how its set up for the "working" original thermostat.