Don't start heating when approaching all schedules OFF

Options

So I noticed the boiler fire up the other night, about 10 minutes before the last schedule was about to turn to a lower temperature and it got me wondering about wasted heat.

The rooms were comfortable and the heating wasn't working hard so hadn't called for heat for a while, but coming on 10 minutes before a schedule changes down seems like a big waste of energy in heating up the system for 10 minutes which isn't going to make much difference and isnt really needed.

Now, the boiler can come on at any time to keep the temp up, and if it comes on half an hour, or an hour before the end of the schedule then thats exactly what you want, but a smart system should be able to work out if the new call for heat is going to be on long enough to make an appreciable difference or effectively be wasted?

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @Dave99
    So what you want is Tado to develop the opposite of their "Early Start" feature. But as the Tado "Early Start" feature is a bit "hit and miss" it's likely to be a very difficult thing to achieve.
    I have to say that I agree with your observation on the probability of wasted heating tho
  • Dave99
    Options

ha, I don't use the Early Start feature but yeah its a similar idea.

I guess its also related to the way a room can be the only one calling for heat then stop, system starts to cool before next room calls for heat 15 minutes later. Just feels like there could be a more "systemwide" check before taking an action to start or stop the boiler, or pre-empting a call for heat to use an already on boiler that is about to be turned off. I love Tado, but its very much a collection of independent rooms connected to a common heat source - just think it could be a bit smarter to use that heat source more efficiently :D