Internet outage leaves me without hot water

This is the situation I woke up to this morning. My internet is down with a Major Service Outage in my area. It happened overnight when my hot water was turned off. I have your standard UK small system with a Wireless Receiver to control my system and a wireless thermostat. Whilst I can take manual control of my heating, it would appear I have no means of turning on my hot water until my Internet service is restored, which might not be until next week. Or have I missed something?

Why is there no manual means of turning on hot water? The Hot Water button on the Receiver is only a test button that turns on the hot water for about a minute. So it seems the only way I have of getting hot water through and beyond the weekend is to stand beside the Wireless Receiver all day and press the test button every minute!

This appears to be a very poor design element with basic functionality being unavailable when a component that's not in your control goes wrong. There should be a manual override built in somewhere!

What is the solution to my problem?

Comments

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭

@CliveC on your wireless thermostat you should be able to set hot water on that. Press the round button twice should bring up the hot water control.

Alternatively, does the following help, it mentions something about pushing the "main" button? This is primarily intended of the radio link is lost, but may apply in your case...

• Hi

Thank-you @cbd20. I checked on my wireless thermostat and I found the control, so we have hot water again! I'm not sure I read anywhere that you could do that. Re-reading the material that came with my system there's no user guide. I can't see one online either.

Reading the article you listed, I think I could also have done that on the controller itself, but for now, I'm happy just to have hot water!

So I am very grateful for your help! Thank-you!

Clive

• Thank you @CliveC . Our internet is down due to today's torrential rain in East Anglia and it's not due back on for another 18-20 hours. I had no idea that the system wouldn't default to a heating cycle for the water until I just tried the hot water tap and the stuff came out tepid. I had no idea there was an override. Thank you so much.