Google home integration

Hi. I have a couple of Google home hubs in my house that I use to control lights and switches.

I was wondering if tado thermostats can be controlled directly from Google home. I know one can control it with the voice assistant, but I'm asking specifically if you can see temperature information directly in the Google home hubs.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Siobhan
    Siobhan
    Answer ✓
    Hi, yes you can. Under Home control, you get a snapshot of each room (heating or off status, current and temp set). You can change settings here per room / device.

You can also select Climate with the Google Home Control menu on left to go to access the same sections.

Answers

• hi, thanks for the information! It's a bit hard to know if you are starting with home automation :)

• I've not found a way to gain an "at a glance" dashboard view of all the data at once. I can see the devices listed, but you need to click into each one individually to see data values.

Certainly voice control works and I assume you could set up routines too, but personally I just use the Tado app for my dashboard view and to make adjustments. Rarely I might use a voice command if I think to, but it's not baked into my muscle memory to do that.

• hi @eezytiger thanks a lot for the screenshots. That's exactly what i was looking for. From what i see you can even control the thermostats from google home, which is great.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @eezytiger @marioferreira if you've got android 12 then when you pull down the notification bar there is a "Device Controls" menu item. Clicking that you can see all your devices on one screen. It also shows the current status of each room thermostat and what the temperature in each room is.
  • @cbd20 Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently on Android 11. No date for 12 that I'm aware of.

• I have the Tado thermostat working with Google Home, but I would like to ask Google: "What is the temperature in the living room?".

But I'll get the answer: "It looks like this thermostat is not configured right now, you can do this in Setting" or something like that, I'm translating.

All is configured correctly in GH, when I give the command "Set temperature in the Livingroom on 20 degrees" Tado listens, and I see thermostat adjusting the configured temperature. But I can't ask for the temperature.

The information is available, it is visible in GH, like the print screens above here in this topic, so why can't I ask for it?

• Well, one month passed without any answer. Busy community here...

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    @RonH123
    I can only assume that there is nobody that uses the Community Forum who also uses the Google Home......so therefore, no answers are forthcoming for you... sorry.

I don't use GH or Google Assistant......however I do use Alexa, and I can ask Alexa to tell me the temperature of any of my rooms/devices..... I can also change the temperature and Boost a room and turn off a room.
    I would imagine that this would be possible for GH and Google Assistant, but I don't know for sure.
    I would suggest that you contact Tado Support or even a GH support (if there is one)
    Sorry that you didn't get the answer that you wanted.....but.......
    "we don't know what we don't know"
  • GH will respond to a voice request for current temperature. It also states the set temperature (usually), but this seems to vary on a whim.

I did make a voice recording to demonstrate, but I can't attach the file type here. If anyone is sufficiently interested I'll break out the laptop and zip it. No feature to do that on Android, without an app.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @RonH123 I just asked Google home for the temperature in my lounge and got this answer:

"Heating is set to 18 with a current temperature of 18.5 degrees".

So it seems to be working for me.

One thing I will say though is I think Google very much treats its assistant as an experiment and features seem to come and go at random. Commands seem to fairly regularly do different things and it gets quite easily confused - this applies to its interaction with any service.

For example, I have Android Auto in my car, and I once asked it to play something on Spotify in my car, and nothing happened. After a few tries I gave up. I then got home and got told by my kids that the sound bar in the lounge kept randomly blasting out music! Clearly on that day the assistant had decided on its own where I wanted to play the music even though I was 20 miles away...

As a consequence I don't generally use Google Home to operate my heating because I don't trust what it might decide to do on a given day.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    So that's
    Alexa 1 : Google 0
    😂😎
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I don't use voice to control the heating. Alexa made a right muck up of it. We have a smart light in the hall, called Hall. We also have a Tado SWT in the hall.

In the past we have commanded Alexa "Hall on", which turned on the hall light. Once Tado was added the same command did not operate the Light, but instead set the Hall heating to 21C. We never have it that high, ever. Even less so in summer!

I removed Tado from Alexa completely in order to avoid future f-ups.

GH, on the other hand, does understand the difference, but we still don't bother to use voice for heating.

• @eezytiger

I suppose it could be down to how our brain accepts what we are doing.........I have absolutely no problems when I use Alexa and tado° ........but because I don't use Google Home at the moment........I'm sure that I would find it problematic, because I'm mentally attuned to the operation of Alexa .

I'm also sure that there are pros and cons with both systems.......you prefer GH and I prefer Alexa......we're both correct 👍😎

• Adjusting or receiving a temperature in any of my 4 rooms using voice commands working without an issue on my Google Nest hub.