Grant Oil Boiler install

Options

I would like to to install Tado (thermostats and TRV) on my setup, is this possible?

• Grant Oil Boiler for heating and hot water
  • Various Drayton and Honeywell controllers

Is this possible? Anyone done something similar?

Regards,

Mike

Answers

• MelTaylor
    MelTaylor
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I have just installed a Tado controller with a wireless room stat.
    Outside basic oil boiler.
    My setup did not have a thermostat before. I replaced a basic digital controller with the Tado. Do note that my how water only is still on a physical valve and not controlled by the Tado at the min.
    Only have it in a week or so and still playing around with the temp settings to get them right but it seems to be working.
    The smart feature means that it only comes on for a short while to get the temp up to the set level rather thank the boiler being on constant until the desired temp is reached.

The tado system I have has two channels one for heating and controlled by the room thermostat and one for hot water so if you have an electric valve for hot water you could have both.
  • paul0000
    Options

Looks like this thread was started some time ago, but I'll reply anyway :)

I have done similar .. have a grant vortex oil boiler. I can't remember the controller I had previously (system has been in about 3 yrs now) but it was really easy to wire up the extension kit as it was pretty basic.

I also had a Honeywell thermostat in the hallway which was also an easy straight swap for a tado thermostat.

We have TRV's on most radiators (left the bathroom with standard ones so they warm up whenever a room calls for heat.

The heating and hot water can work together or separately as needed.

• Just replaced a Drayton controller and Honeywell thermostat on a grant boiler. Working fine
  • KD9239
    Options

Hi, sounds like I have the same system as you. Ive just set the Tado up today and I am having problems getting the boiler to start for heating. The hot water fire perfectly.

I've wired up the wireless receiver replacing an old Honeywell. It was quite straight forward, the only difference was the instructions required two additional purple bridge wires. One from the L-CH COM and the other from CH COM to HW COM.

But I just can't get the boiler to fire up when demanded. The light on the receiver comes on...but also the power light flashed orange?

Any suggestions?

• I had an issue where I didn't disconnect all of the old devices correctly