Extension kit lights - wrong?

Options

So this morning I noticed that my extension kit light was reporting the "interrupted on" state as per this page:

This would imply that my extension kit has lost connection to one or more thermostats or to the bridge. However the app, is not reporting any issues. I can also see and confirm that all thermostats are connected too.

I tried rebooting the extension kit and repairing and I'm still stuck with the same light. I can even use the button on the top to cycle between the three modes as per the referenced help page, further suggesting that the extension kit "believes" it's not connected.

However, if I turn the heating on via one of the thermostats the extension kit responds and fires the boiler, so it would seem that it IS connected. So why is it's light telling me otherwise?

Anyone else seen this? How did you resolve?

Have to admit after bullet proof connectivity for a year and now seeing strange disconnects on thermostats and now this I'm getting frustrated with tado. Especially with energy prices the way they are I cannot afford for tado to randomly get stuck with my heating on full blast!

Comments

• hugbilly
    Options

Yes, my wireless controller sometimes enters the interrupted state (slow blinking of Wireless and ! LEDs) but appears to continue functioning normally. When it first used to happen I would worry and go through re-booting and re-pairing but now I just ignore the situation and it "always" resolves after a time.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just an update on this. I got in touch with tado support, and their initial response back was under an hour which I was pleasantly surprised by. They did a system check and confirmed that everything was connected ok.

After a few hours I reported back that the status light was still wrong. They remotely rebooted my system and voila it fixed itself.

However, I've now asked them about something else that happened this afternoon. My kitchen radiator thermostat reported an open window but rather than switch the heating off, it actually ramped up the heating requests during the enforced OFF period. In other words it did the exact opposite of what it's meant to do. Definitely some gremlins around today...
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi @cbd20
    I have also noticed this on a couple of occasions, and I have come to the conclusion that sometimes when another device's batteries are getting low (but not necessarily low enough to show the "Low Battery" indication) then the device (SRT) fails to connect to the Extension Kit.....hence the Extension Kit will show a fault condition.......I noted that this "fault" could come and go due to the (suspect) SRT being able to temporarily reconnect with the Extension Kit.
    This may not be your issue, but may be worth checking in the graphs of your devices.....when I did this, I found that a device was "dropping out" on an irregular basis and had been doing so for a few days..... It's worth thinking about.
    Good luck
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @GrayDav4276 it's interesting you mention that as I had one radiator thermostat that's been acting "whacky" for a few days now (not the one mentioned above), with random drop-outs and false window detections. I changed the batteries on it this morning to rule out low battery issues. It was only after this that the extension kit started acting up.

The tado support staff reckoned it was the last drop-out of that device that triggered the error state on the extension kit. What they haven't yet been able to explain is why the error state remained for hours afterwards. Their analysis showed that all rooms have got good connections. A remote reboot was the only thing that cured it.

I'll keep an eye on it.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @cbd20,
    I've got a funny feeling that quite a few of the recurring problems "could" be down to low battery issues with our devices. I have only ever had 1 "Low Battery" notification in over 18mths......but I have "cured" quite a few "No Remote Access" and Extension Kit "Fault Light" issues, by replacing the batteries......I always use "quality" batteries.....no cheap rubbish.