Connect wireless thermostat to existing wired

Options

Hi,

I have bought and installed the wired thermostat in my living room, but I want to measure the temperature from the main bedroom.

Can I buy a wireless thermostat and put it on the main bedroom, so it can start/stop the boiler based on the temperature in main bedroom?

I can not change position from the wired thermostat and move it from living room to main bedroom.

Answers

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options

@nsofios

If I understand you correctly the answer is "Yes". I did something similar with my setup.

I have a Tado Smart Wired Thermostat positioned in the hall and wired to the boiler. It's irrelevant, but for completeness I also have seven Tado Smart Radiator Thermostats. The bathroom has/had no thermostats or sensors. It was left open without control as a bypass radiator (along with the one in the hall). But this meant that the bathroom had no way to request heat when none of the other rooms wanted heat.

I added a Tado wireless temperature sensor in the bathroom, with the hall thermostat as its zone controller. Now, whenever the bathroom actively wants heat, as opposed to passively taking heat requested by other rooms, it can request the boiler to turn on whenever it wishes.

However, for you, if you already have a dumb TRV fitted in the bedroom you might do just as well to replace it with a Tado Smart Radiator Thermostat. In this way the Tado SRT can not only request heat, but also shut off the radiator if no more heat is required, but with more precision, flexibility and convenience than with a dumb TRV. Price will probably be similar either way, but watch for a deal. Black Friday brought some big price drops, now over, but keep an eye out for changes on Amazon. Pricing seems volatile.