Three Zone Control Possibilities

Options

I have been in contact with Tado CS who have suggested that i am unable to install a tado system in my home due to to the current three zone config, but other articles on here (And a user i know) have suggested that this may not be entirely true?

Setup (As picture)

Upstairs, downstairs, hot water (with tank) all independently controlled.

Upstairs/Downstairs were all wired thermostats but have been replaced with a wireless receiver to make wireless due to the proximity to doors and constantly being triggered.

Not sure if anything else needed but before i dismiss Tado and have to go to Nest + other bits to work with HomeKit I would like to properly understand if it would not work.

Best Answer

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have two issues that will stop you from self installing Tado.

1) You have a 3 channel controller. Tado’s controller is 2 channels only - HW and one heating zone.

2) You have 2 wireless thermostats. A Tado system can only have one wireless thermostat and receiver.

You can have 3 zones with Tado, but you will need the services of an electrician to adapt the wiring.

Answers

• Ah cool, so it looks like (without a lot of work) it is pretty difficult todo. Looks like i will have to go nest + something else then :-(

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

You can have two wireless Nest thermostats in a system, but just be aware that you will need a 5V power supply for each of them. This is normally achieved by mounting the Nest on a desk stand and connecting a 5V power supply to the nearest electric socket.

Two Heat Links will need to be wired in place of the 3 channel programmer. It’s the same (maybe more) amount of work as wiring in the Tado. Unfortunately when you have more than 2 zones the wiring is more complex.

• Ah ok, I may just not bother to go “smart” with it then. Seems a lot more work and money that I’ll ever get back in savings.