Why does my smart thermostat switch off before the temperature is reached?

Options

Hello all, after some advice please.

I've recently added a 2nd smart thermostat to control a new zone in my house (wired to the 2 way valve) which switches on the heating perfectly.

However...

The heating is switching off before the demanded temperature is reached, not only on the new zone, but also when I try it on the original heating zone.

Any thoughts?

Nick

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options
    I would say that Tado is learning your home characteristics. I notice the same with my TRVs but the rooms still reach the set temperature. If it kept heating until the set temp is reached it would overshoot by quite a margin due to the residual heat in the radiators
  • Hi David

Thanks for that, I did not know it had a "learning" facility. How does this work?

Not sure it would be affecting the pre-existing system though?

Is there anyway of checking whether it is a thermostat problem (ie them switching the boiler off) or a boiler problem (ie the boiler switching off)? Though because I'm able to simply switch it back on I'm tending to think its a thermostat issue.

Nick

• davidlyall
    Options

Tado would need to describe how the learning function works ...

I'm not sure why it would switch off the other zone. Could be wiring or configuration.

So the new thermostat is wired to a zone valve. Is that zone valve capable of turning on the boiler/pump independently? Is the original smart thermostat wired to another zone valve and can it also turn on the boiler/pump independently?

On the tado configuration, it may be that the zone controller isn't set correctly. I think for each smart thermostat to be able to control the heating. They need to be set as the zone controller. Do you also have an extension kit for hot water control? If so, it may be set as the zone controller for one or both smart thermostats.

I believe the above is correct as my own system is a standard s-plan with only one zone valve for heating and another for HW. These are controlled by the extension kit relays.