TRV thermostat not fully opening radiator valve to 100%

Options

I have replaced an Oventrop radiator valve with a Tado valve.

Unfortunately, I find that the Tado valve is not allowing the maximum flow of water through the radiator. I have tried two Tado thermostats and both cannot raise the room temperature to that which the original thermostat is capable of allowing water flow for.

I have tried removing and reinstalling as well as recalibrating.

Support would be much appreciated. Bit cold in here :)

Answers

• Trollet
    Options
    When you mount the Tado thermostat (the part that you twist in place - not the one you screw onto the plastic adapter), do you need to push it in slightly to be able to turn it clockwise and lock it in position? If so, it will reduce the flow in fully open position. If not, the Tado thermostat does not actually push on the pin and does not interfere with the flow.

I had the same problem twice. One of them was due to using the wrong adapter pin (slightly too long), the other one was a faulty radiator valve (the valve pin was not in place, needed to replace the radiator valve).
  • Hey Trollet,

Thank you for your response - it is apprecaited.

I have removed a Ofentrop Uni LH valve. Based on the link below, file attached. It seems to me that I do not need an adapter - by the wa,y the Tado screws straight on.

• Based on the above two facts a)Uni LH and b) Tado screwing straight on, I am assuming I am dealing with a M30 x 1.5 thermostat so it should just work!
    • Unless, somehow it is a M30 x 1.0 mm (please see the thermostat model in the attached pdf), in which case I would need an adapter...

• Regarding pressure while mounting interfering with flow: I do not feel that I need to apply pressure while mounting the thermostat. So, I assume, the valve should be able to fully open.

Regarding it being able to close the valve: that works without an issue...

Thank you

• Trollet
    Options

Sorry for the late reply, I received no notification on your post.

If you're able to screw the thermostat onto the valve, it must be a 30x1.5 valve. If it's threaded 30x1.0 you'll never get it in place. But it's fairly easy to check - look at one of the plastic adapters and compare it with the threading on your valve. They should be the same.

Anyway - unless you need to push the thermostat in place, and the calibration goes ok, the problem is not in the Tado parts. You could always put your ear against the pipe and try to hear if there's a change in the water flow when you twist the thermostat in place, but if it goes without resistance (as you say, and as it should be) it doesn't touch the pin and doesn't affect the flow.