Can a Zone controller operating a zone valve also tell the boiler receiver to fire the boiler?

Options
phil470
phil470
edited January 2022 in General Questions & Topics

I'm sure this has come up before but, I have 11 Tado TRVs, 4 on the ground floor plus another 2 in the same circuit/zone in the 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms. There is a wireless thermostat in the hall (controlling the TRV on the hall radiator) and a receiver wired to the boiler. I had an old timer wired to a zone valve under the 1st floor bathroom floor scheduled to only open the valve and circuit/zone to the 1st and 2nd floor bedrooms (5 no.) for 2 hours in the morning and 3 in the evening. Trouble was if a bedroom Tado radiator TRV asked for heat during a cold day (set to 15 degrees to keep the chill off and the humidity down) the boiler responded but because the zone valve was shut it didn't receive any heat.

I bought a wired thermostat to replace the old timer that was wired to the zone valve. I have also attached an LED across the terminals to the zone valve now so that I can see when the electrical circuit is live and the valve is open. I have set all the bedroom TRVs to talk directly to the new wired thermostat which is acting as the upper floors zone controller. Now I have the problem that all the bedroom TRVs are talking to the new wired thermostat and will all individually ask the thermostat to open the zone valve, but, this means the TRVs are no longer talking to the boiler receiver and the boiler is not getting the message to fire up. Obviously the wired thermostat is also not talking to the receiver.

Is there any way to create this final link so that a bedroom TRV can call for the zone valve to be opened and the boiler to fire up.

I have a partial work around at the moment since in the master bedroom I have 2 radiators each with Tado TRVs. One (A) talks to the new wired thermostat operating the zone valve and the other (B) to the receiver attached to the boiler. The theory being that if 'A' calls for heat during the day then it is likely that 'B' will be asking for heat soon and another bedroom radiator will also be calling for a little heat since 'A' is in a cold corner. I would note that there is one small radiator in the ground floor toilet that is always on (no TRV at all) should all the Tado TRVs and the zone valve be closed .

Phil

Answers

• barTMarke
    Options
    Following with interest. Same Question here.
  • phil470
    Options
    No takers for my query yet, but work around with bedroom radiators seems to be working quite well, although I do have a schedule set on the thermostat to ensure there is heat upstairs at get up and bed time. Phil