Last ditch attempt before I send my Tado wired thermostat back (UK)

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has successfully got the following to work and if so, how? I am just at the point of giving up and returning the Tado Wired thermostats.

So the background is:

I recently moved into a new build and it has a combi boiler and a dual zone thermostat wired setup to a wiring centre.

The boiler is - Potterton Assure 36 Combi

The Pre exiting Thermostats are - ESI ESRTP6C

The Wire Centre is - Esi brand as well (Sorry no specifics on the model)

Speaking with Tado Customer Service - they have told me the following information:

The Potterton Assure 36 Combi - can support Opentherm if rewired to do so

The ESI ESRTP6C - current way these thermostats are wired is not supported

They suggested I get an engineer out to rewire a boiler to get this to work for the wired thermostats.

However speaking with someone in the forums have suggested the following:

That’s a relay controlled 2 zone wiring centre with 5V PSU for the thermostats. Configuring the thermostat for relay mode and wiring as below should work

RH -> NO

0V -> P1

5V -> COM

I have tried this and the boiler does not kick in at all.

Is there any hope? Or am I trying to flog a dead horse? Has anyone had experience with a similar setup?

Below are pictures of the wiring of the current thermostat and ESI wire centre:

Wire input to the Wire Centre (SL - Black, L - Brown, etc)

Output wiring of the wire Centre for the dual zones Bottom is labelled Room Stat 1 and top Room Stat 2 the wiring is labelled the following (+V brown, 0V Grey, RH Red for Heat Black)

Input to the current thermostat which I have been told is analogue and the wiring is labelled the following (+V brown, 0V Grey, RH Red for Heat Black)

Best Answer

• Rob
    Rob | Admin
    Answer ✓

The most easy way to install tado° is to simply replace old wired thermostats by our wired thermostats. This is something you can do yourself, as a layman.

However, the issue we face in this case is that the ESI ESRTP6C uses a type of communication we are not familiar with. According to my database it is not relay based and it's also not using one of the many digital buses we support. Thus, we cannot replace them easily and this is why the wiring centre would probably need to be removed. Which is probably why support gave you the advice to get an engineer.

I sadly cannot help you with replacing/rewiring the wire centre.

Answers

• Anybody? Really would love to get this working

• Just to note the boiler is a 2 zoned combi which has a 2 valve system

• Any updates on TADO end about this?

• So I had this issue - New build property. 2 Zone system. ESI controls and wiring centre.

I solved the issue though.

I removed the ESI thermostats and replaced with 2 x Tado Wired thermostats.

I bought a Wago wiring centre from Screwfix for about £20 and wired the whole thing up as an S plan. Fairly simple to do.

The main issue was the motorised valve heads. The versions on my pipe work had pre installed plugs on the end (for direct connection to the ESI wiring centre). I bought two new ones (coincidentally ESI branded but with open wires at the end rather than plugs). Cost about £55 for the 2 (delivered). For anyone who doesn’t want to have to buy new ones - you can just cut the plug off the existing one and strip the wires back. I wanted to retain my full old ESI system though in case I ever move and want to reinstall it. Cutting the plugs off will lose that option.

The only thing holding it all back is the ESI wiring centre which is a ‘plug and play’ setup for ESI thermostats and valve heads.

I’d invested a fortune in my Tado system so was desperate to find a solution. It was a very simple job in the end - albeit with more investment required. Should pay for itself though with Tado savings 😀
  • Any pics how you wired up the Wago?
  • Ben, any images of how you wired your wago box? Currently stuck with the same issue.

Thanks.