Which Tado kits do I need?

Options
Hi, thinking of getting a smart heating system and I’m tempted by the Amazon deal today.

I have an Ideal Icos 35 boiler which provides heating and hot water, British Gas UP1L control panel, and a simple Honeywell rotary thermostat in the hall. Have TRVs on all radiators in the house. Living room has two radiators.

I think I need the Wired Thermostat Kit and a bunch of smart radiator valves. Could someone confirm? Do I also need a smart thermostat for the living room?

Also, is the kit really suitable for DIY installation? I’m confident with tech but a little worried about wiring.

Thanks for any help!

Best Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you need the wired thermostat starter kit to replace the thermostat in the hall. Swapping with the Honeywell is easy to do, and you will get instructions from Tado.

Add the smart radiator valves to the rooms where you want extra control. You will need two valves for the living room. The wireless temperature sensor is optional but will probably improve the temperature control, especially if the radiators are obstructed with curtains and furniture. If you don’t purchase the temperature sensor you will have to nominate one of the two radiators to read the temperature for the room.

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can keep the programmer for HW scheduling. The Tado HW scheduling is not that smart. With the wireless receiver you can use the geolocation feature to turn off the HW when you’re away from home, but that’s not always useful. Many people like to come home knowing there’s a cylinder of HW water for baths and showers.

Alternatively you purchase the Wireless Receiver starter kit and replace the UP1L programmer for full control of heating and hot water. You site the wireless thermostat in the living room and deactivate the thermostat in the hall. Your main temperature control is now in the living space and not in the hall. This setup is a bit more complicated to install but you will get wiring instructions.

Answers

• npadgen
    Options

Thanks GrilledCheese2! Will I also need to replace the British Gas controller/timer beside the boiler - or do I leave that in place to control the hot water?

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

You don’t need to replace the programmer. You set the CH switch to Constant or 24HR and the Tado takes over the scheduling. If you want Tado to control scheduling of the hot water then you can replace the programmer with a Wireless Receiver. I assume your boiler is a combi and you don’t need to schedule when a hot water cylinder is heated?

• npadgen
    Options

Not a combi, we have a separate hot water tank - but the programmer has separate CH and HW so I guess I leave the CH on 24H and keep the water programmed for when we need it?

• npadgen
    Options

Thank you so much! Our hot water needs aren’t complicated so I think I’ll go for the wired option. Clever heating here we come!