Batteries are running low quickly

Options
Hi,

I’ve got 2 Tado Smart Radiator Thermostats installed for about 2/3 months now. One of the radiator thermostats gave a low battery e-mail on Tuesday, I’ve changed the batteries with new LR06 batteries and now today I’ve got an new notification saying the batteries are empty again… The other radiator thermostat is still working fine.

Is this normal? Any tips?

Also I think I should state that the radiator thermostats are in the same room. It’s a big room though, there is 8 meters between the bridge and the malfunctioning radiator thermostat.

Comments

• Hi, I've had a couple occasions where my Tado app/email has alerted me to a low battery state on a Smart Radiator Thermostat, however I tested the batteries with my Voltmeter and they were at 1.5V, so okay, I then cleaned the battery contact points and the hinged metal plate on the thermostat and re-installed the same batteries. The smart radiator thermostat low battery warning dot disappeared from the app screen, and it has been working fine now for many months. So, I suggest before reaching for a new set of batteries, try cleaning the contacts first and if possible, check the battery voltage before replacement.

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

I find they don't like cheap batteries. I just wait until the radiators stop getting warm before changing as I have seen it take many months before battery finally gives up. I presume cheaper batteries don't operate at the same voltage level Tado is expecting for as long, but can continue at a slightly lower voltage, thus throwing the error. When a battery is new it's usually c.1.65 volts. I presume Tado sees a rapid decline to 1.5v as getting a little low, even though the reality is the batteries are still good for some time to come. You tend to see Duracells etc stay around 1.55v for much of their life and have a flatter curve, in comparison Home Bargains JCB batteries (like I use) seem to drop to 1.48v-1.52v very quickly, but stay at it for quite some time.