Viessmann 100w boiler and Tado setup

Options
szm8dg
szm8dg
Hello everyone,

Im a bit confused at the moment regarding the Tado setup. I hope you guys can help me understand the Tado equipment. I'm from the UK and my boiler details are below:

Viessmann Vitodens 100-W 35kW Combination Boiler Natural Gas ErP - B1KC025

I was advised by Tado to purchase a Wired Smart Thermostat with a wireless temperature sensor (to be used as an extender) as my boiler isn't compatible with the Wireless thermostat.

So I purchased those two items along with 9 Tado Smart Radiator thermostats.

Here the confusion begins.

1. Do I need to install the wired Smart Thermostat next to the boiler and then the extender can be installed anywhere (or where is the recommended install location).

2. Given the radiator Smart Thermostats control temperature of each radiator what does the boiler Smart Thermostat control?

3. How do the components work together (radiator and boiler Thermostats and the wireless temp sensor)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in the Swansea area so if there are any Tado Installers in this area I'd really prefer a professional to do this install.

Thank you.

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

I cannot fully answer your question but I think I know what Tado support is trying to do.

The wired thermostat is your Zone Controller. It is wired directly to the boiler so it can turn your boiler on and off. I assume the plan is to use the Viessmann digital bus and not the relay method. The TRVs will talk to the Zone Controller when they want the boiler to produce hot water.

Normally the wired thermostat is mounted in the living space and not close to the boiler. You don’t want to be measuring the temperature inside a cupboard, out building, loft space etc. And, normally a wireless temperature sensor is linked to a TRV so that the TRV does not measure the temperature next to the hot radiator, but measures the middle of the room.

I’m guessing Tado are going to link the the wired thermostat to the wireless temperature sensor by putting them in the same logical room in the app. The temperature readings from the wireless sensor are then used instead of those from the wired thermostat.

Tado support should be able to confirm the purpose of the wireless temperature sensor and provide the necessary installation instructions.

• szm8dg
    Options
    Yes, i want to use it digitally. Thank you for the response and breakdown, really helpful. There doesn't seem to be much info online about my boiler and Tado using the tado devices I've been recommended by Tado so thanks again. Much appreciated