Valve heads within wooden cabinets

Options

This is a bit of technical/sales question. Forgive me if it's not in the correct part of the forum. I would like to install several Tado valve heads in my house. I plan to change the existing aged TRV's with Danfoss valves. I have several rads without TRV's. Several of these rads are within decorative wooden cabinets. Historically, I did not use TRV's within the cabinets as apart from being difficult to access I thought without airflow around the TRV head it would not work properly.

My question is does anybody have experience with this type of installation? Is it feasible?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@SurreyChap If the rads are within decorative cabinets you could install the Wireless Temperature Sensor (thermostat) in the room(s) to control the new valves with SRVs (link below). That should let you control the room temperature from the room sensor.

Alternatively, the 'temperature 'offset' feature for the SRV may be enough. However, I found the 'offset' very rough and ready for the one SRV/rad (behind a sofa) where we had to use the 'offset'. It took three attempts (successive approximation) to get the correct 'offset' to reach the room temperature measured independently on a digital thermometer.

If you are adding new thermostatic valves where none exist today, don't forget to check with your heating engineer whether your boiler/system requires a 'bypass' - where one (or more) rads remain without a TRV to act as the 'bypass', or an automatic 'bypass' device has been installed on the pipework?

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3453081-do-i-need-a-wireless-temperature-sensor-in-a-room-that-already-has-smart-radiator-thermostats-installed

• SurreyChap
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for that wateroakley. That makes sense and is probably the way I will proceed. Thanks again.

Answers

• I can't figure out how to change the offset settings where is it?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Settings > rooms > click on room > offset
  • davidlyall
    Options

Not sure if @SurreyChap has installed already but I guess rads in cabinets would be a good application for the "basic" valves that Tado has introduced. It would save a little money if he was going to use a wireless temp sensor for the actual room measurement device