Tado Valves - Can you configure them just to open and close and NOT control the boiler?

NeilF
NeilF

In my house I have three radiators (downstairs) without TRVs.

So my concern is if I put Tado radiator valves say in the bedrooms upstairs, and one room decides it wants to be warmer, the Tado valve will tell the boiler to come on, meaning not just that room will get warmer, but significant areas downstairs will too (as the non-TRV radiators will all warm up). Not ideal!

Can you define Tado valves to just open and close, and NOT turn the boiler on (or off)?

Also, for those folks with these valves? How noisy are they for bedrooms?

Comments

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

If you set the valves to "independent" in the app they will not control the boiler. They will be like dumb valves, albeit with the benefit of scheduling the temperatures.

But, if you want to operate in this fashion you could opt not to install a smart thermostat for the boiler. Just use your existing timer/controller and have the Tado valves as scheduleable dumb valves as above. This is how I started out with my Tado system, but I very soon (two days later) added the smart thermostat so that I could have (selected) valves requesting heat.

As for noise, a bit startling at first, but I've got used to it and wifey hasn't complained so it can't be that bad.

• NeilF
    NeilF
    edited April 2022

"Independent" - That's good to hear and the way I'd probably use them...

"As for noise, a bit startling at first" - When do you get the noise with the "independent" setting. When the valve is opening/closing, when the room needs more heat or is hot enough?

SO... Given with "independent" all I'd do is set the temp (for the bedroom) as the max temp all the time, so I'd set our bedroom to say 20 degrees all the time. So surely at night the house will cool, the bedroom temp will go below 20 degrees and the valve will open (noise?). BUT, in the morning, when the heating comes in, the valve is already open, so there will be no noise until the room gets to 20 degrees, when it will finally shut off (noise?).

ie: No noise in the early hours of the morning?

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

Yep, noise is only when the valves open/close/adjust. So if your heating is off the valves will open up and stay there until heating comes on and temperature is reached.

Through winter we have had the heating "on" 24x7, subject to the demands of the valves in key rooms, including the master bedroom, so for us the noise will exist occasionally through the night. We have definitely got used to it.