Multiple TRVs in one room/zone

2»

Answers

• UKenGB
    UKenGB
    edited July 2022

Since that link did NOT answer the question of what is a 'heating device' (despite what was erroneously claimed by MichielTado), I dug back into the original literature from when we installed tado some 5 years ago and this is what they had to say on the subject:-

"…The maximum number of devices is limited by the maximum number of configurable zones:

• Accounts with zones controlled independently from one another can have up to 25 heating zones.
    • Accounts with zones with a central tado° boiler controller can have up to 10 heating zones.

Each zone can have up to 8 devices, of which one can be a Smart Thermostat, i.e.

• 8 Smart Radiator Thermostats or
    • 7 Smart Radiator Thermostats and 1 Smart Thermostat."

So the description of the upper limits has changed, but I'm not sure if the actual limits have changed since it's not really clear what they mean in the above statement. A 'zone' is currently referred to as a 'room' and as we have what I think they mean by "a central tado° boiler controller", 5 years ago I took the above to mean I could have up to 10 zones, each with several 'devices'. Since a single SRV on its own would be considered a 'zone', the only solution I saw was to, where possible, group SRVs together into 'zones' to keep the maximum number below 10.

Despite the change in wording, I am still unclear as to exactly what the upper limits are, or what they currently consider a 'heating device', although from the above it looks like at the time, rad valves and room stats were both considered as such.

• MichielTado
    MichielTado ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Why would you study five year old documentation when you want to know how the systems works now? Contrary to what you state the link provided by Samd and the link in that page about how many devices can you add to a room answers all your questions.

• MichielTado Are you always such a PIA, or just on this forum? Nah, don't bother to answer as I think I already know. 😀

So just drop your obtuse belligerence. I have no interest in following this discussion any further, particularly with you and will block any further responses to this topic. Wasted too much time on it already.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@UKenGB Yep you are correct - the 10 limit did previously apply but no longer and also correct in that a room stat IS a heating device so that may give you the freedom to re-think your deployment?

• UKenGB
    UKenGB
    edited July 2022

Thanks samd I appreciate that information, but some other has kinda spoiled it on here for me. So I'll not be following this any further.

• MichielTado
    MichielTado ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

@UKenGB I am not sure calling another forum user “some other ” is considered acceptable behaviour on this forum. You may not like my responses or not agree with me on what a forum is supposed to be. Personally I expect forum users to do some minimal research before asking, but I was always polite.

• I'm not a Forum Moderator.....but the Forum should not be used to "have a go" at other members......please post responsibly.....or not at all.
  • Wow, so someone repeatedly criticises me and when I respond to that, I get a 'warning'. Hey, we're not kids here. Sheesh. Grow up, all of you.

I've been a tado user for a long time and I came here to give and receive help. Forums should be a place for that to occur, a 'pleasant' sharing of information. Instead it's worse than being back at school, so I'll leave you to it. 👋

• Yes, I basically agree, one stat per physical room makes the most sense, but historically, there would be one stat for the entire house and I read on here that some users do try to segment the house into maybe just 2 zones/rooms, e.g. upstairs and downstairs which is far from ideal IMO. I want independent control in each physical room, but…

When I first installed tado, quite a few years ago, there was a limit to the maximum number of possible rooms and so one had to combine them into zones. Maybe this limit has subsequently been increased, but it was a very real reason why several rooms had to be combined in that way.

I must check what the current max. is as combining rooms into zones makes it hard, or impossible to correlate tado ‘rooms’ with HomeKit rooms. I know you can group the latter into zones, but apart from Apple’s dreadful UI in Home.app, their zones are just virtual groups and cannot have devices allocated to them, only to rooms within that zone, so back to the tado - HK correlation problem.

• Germán
    Germán | Admin

Hello to everyone participating in this conversation.

First thing I need to say, please remember you're in a public space and the bare minimum required is to respect the people you're conversating or debating with.

If you come across any question about the interpretation of any of our Help Center articles, we kindly invite you to contact our support chat for the clarification. Remember we're discussing an evolving technology, that gets updated and even when we're trying our best to share how it works it can still not be 100% clear.

No one needs to disrespect another user for a disagreement about the interpretation of that. Period. The automatic monitoring system will definitely react to certain language.

About the topic being discussed: If this help I might add that the limits haven't changed. We updated the nomenclature for clarity reasons and to align with the names that some of the platforms we integrate with are using.

For an specific question about a particular case you might have, again I'll recommend to consult the details with our support.

Best regards,

Germán

• To summarise and to clarify, if you have a room with 2 radiators which you fit smart TRVs to both radiators, also have the Wall stat in this room, within the Tado app can you specify any of the 3 "measuring devices" i.e ideally the Wall stat?

Therefore the room temperature at the wall stat can switch on and off both radiators together?