Upgrading from V1 Extension Kit to V3 Wireless Receiver

I've bought a V3 kit including Smart Rad Valves but......

I have been onto Tado as I thought it would be a simple swap out to go from my V1 Extension Kit to the V3 Wireless Receiver but you are not able to select the Tado Extension as the original device.

I have swapped the bridge to the V3 one and it all works (the existing v1 stuff that I haven't yet removed) along with the wireless thermostat, I just have the final step of connecting the wireless receiver.

Tado Support have said to specify my Boiler (Vaillant EcoTec Plus 615 which they need to prepare instructions for) and basically treat it like a fresh install, this seems odd. Has anyone made the upgrade and therefore can explain which wire goes where?

Answers

• The old extension kit effectively has 3 modes of operation. The new wiring depends on whether you are using the extension kit with jumper 1, jumper 2 or digital bus. Probably best to upload a photo of the current wiring.

• Here is the current wiring.

Cheers

• The Live and Neutral wires are transferred like for like.

Old pin 3 to new HW NO.

Old pin 4 to new CH NO.

Add two new link wires. First one is from Live to CH COM. The second is from CH COM to HW COM.

The wiring of the receiver is only half of the job. The system configuration will need to be set for S-Plan. Customer support will know what to do if you tell them you have a system boiler with S-Plan wiring.

• Thanks for that info. Tado Support did send me a PDF instruction describing exactly the steps you described above too. Your final paragraph is the clincher though as there's no mention of any of that in their instructions so I would have been stuck! I did contact them and they have enabled it so in theory everything now works on my new V3 system.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

• Hi. I have a similar question. Upgrading the extension kit with wiring as shown to the the new wireless receiver but not sure it's been done correctly, as the boiler isn't firing when it should. Any help greatly appreciated.