Power/internet outage BCP for tado

Options

Hi all,

I am currently looking at the options for continued tado operation in our house with/during power and internet failure. As part of a broader home power outage management.

Last (this yr even) we lost power several times and that obviously had a knock on to our tado operation. Have seen an increase in the past three yrs.

In the first instance - we are heading back to having a backup geni for low electrical use in our house and that can cover our heating system, and internet and tado.

But - and critical question - has anyone come up with a reasonable workaround for the - one tado bad - the inability to have an offline back up capacity? I've raised this query to the help desk previously.

With general power outage our DSL will last a while and then need to drop to dial-up. But ideally tado have cracked this problem or someone has a sensible workaround for tado being off line and its inability to operate to the settings it has...

An obvious point for the techie-heads out there - a core failure with Internet of things is when there is no Internet. I suggest we may see more Internet/power outages in the near future, and I don't want my family to get cold because of it and need to revert to old boiler timer and manual valves.

Thanks in advance,

PG

PS there may be a some discussions on this already - but I'd done some basic searches and didn't spot anything.

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

One option for local control is Apple HomeKit, but you need an iPhone, an Apple hub and the HomeKit enabled V3 Tado bridge. I've only tried it out of interest, but came to the conclusion that you couldn't really use both HomeKit and the Tado app at the same time. You really need to use HomeKit solely as the primary controller. Someone on here can probably give you more advice on using HomeKit for local control without internet.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    We have a dual WAN router with a 4g backup on the 2nd WAN, and both routers on a UPS.
    Gives about an hour should the power fail, and seamless Internet connection should the fibre go down.
  • Thanks johnbur - impressive setup. Alas not
    able to have such a fallback. Though underlines a point about tado addressing this obvious gap. The chance of planned power outage in the UK and Europe this yr are now moving to the very high likelihood. This - no internet availability - will become a make or break functionality issues for the home automation market players… 😒
  • johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    @chezgoulding absolutely agree. We have this setup because we work from home and Internet connection is essential, and it is a lucky byproduct that it solves Tado deficiencies.
    Whilst I love Tado, there is no way I could ever recommend it to friends until a local solution is provided.
  • @GrilledCheese2 so FYI I am now contemplating a full end-to-end HomeKit driven route... So reverting to base setup and building up from scratch, for all devices... In another post, I'd explain my experience with HK, and associated HK capable devices. Though in truth, its the respective apps, and their insistent on being the one-true-app [and in the darkness bind them] that is the issue. Which sends the whole thing upside down when you have different naming conventions in HK and base apps [sigh]... Bring on Thread/Matter sooner, or some such unification. Mental note - must check is tado in that Thread/Matter nature space... Will report back on the HK activity - but have the sense now that I need too revert to base reset and rebuild the whole shenanigans from scratch... 😩 CPG