Hot water does not heat up but heating works from tado app

Options

Hi All,

I have a Suprima 40L boiler with Tado thermostat and extension kit.

Smart Thermostat RU1411FT01050581566464 Firmware: 54.20

Extension Kit (BU2542927872) Firmware: 54.20

Internet Bridge IB2817328640 Firmware: 92.1

In settings: In rooms and devices, the smart thermostat is stated as Connected and good.

The hot water is showing as Connected, the extension kit shows as Connected.

The internet bridge shows as connected and the pairing is inactive.

When I set the heating to 25 degrees on the tado app the heating comes on and the status light on the boiler goes solid green and the pilot light on the boiler comes on. The heating tile on the tado app goes orange.

However when I set the hot water to On in the tado app the hot water tile in the tado app says the hot water is ON and the hot water tile is coloured orange, however the water is cold, the pilot light on the boiler does not come on, the status light on the boiler is solid orange.

Could this be a problem with either the tado hardware or software, or does this have to be a problem with the boiler or other central heating hardware equipment?

Thanks

Answers

• Jogey
    Options

At the risk of being obvious, I should say that if this could be a problem with tado hardware or software please advise what I need to do to fix this.

• Jogey
    Options

I should also add that I do hear the click in the extension kit when I switch the hot water to ON in the tado app, but the boiler does not switch on.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Is it a system or combi boiler, and how is it wired to the extension kit?
  • Jogey
    Options

its a system boiler. The extension kit is on the wall immediately under the boiler.

It has an electric switch on the wall next to it, but I don't see any other wires between it and the boiler.

There is a little green light on the extension kit which goes on and off when you switch the electric switch on the wall on and off

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    The electric switch is probably the power for the extension kit and boiler. Sounds like it could be a stuck relay but can’t say for sure. You could try seeing if you can move it manually if you know what or where it is. Could also be wrongly wired. If you could post a picture of the wiring on the extension kit and boiler that would be a help too.

Finally, have you checked with Tado support that the boiler is installed correctly with the extension kit? They should have sent instructions when the kit was installed.
  • Jogey
    Options

yes I just chatted

to them and sent them the attached photos they said it is wired correctly and I need to do the test below

"Extension Kit Bypass Instructions

To help us identify the cause of the problem, we would like to send you these simple instructions to bypass your

Extension Kit. By bypassing the Extension Kit we can determine if the problem is related to tado°."

I'm not knowledgeable enough to do that test safely so will have to call in a pro. Thanks for your help

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t know what the bypass test is - I’m guessing rewiring the boiler to take the kit out of circuit so the hot water is always on? It won’t be overly complicated but you must turn the power to the boiler off, and as you say if you don’t feel confident doing it yourself best to get a professional in. Hope it works out.
  • Jogey
    Options

That's exactly right I think. Thank you.

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

One of your photos shows the backplate from your previous programmer. If you are using this instead of the Tado backplate then check that the terminal pins are clean and undamaged - these contacts can be unreliable. Also try applying a bit of pressure to the front of the device with the HW switched on in the app.

• davidlyall
    Options

I would definitely be confirming the connection to pin 5 of the backplate. I assume you've checked that the blue wire is securely connected?

After that, I'd be checking the wiring centre to confirm that power is getting to the terminal for the HW. Can't recall which number it will be but often they don't get wired up using the standard numbering. If you have an electrical test screwdriver that is ideal

If there's power at the wiring centre terminal then you can rule out Tado being the issue. I assume yours is an S plan system with two motorised valves. It may simply be the HW valve that has stuck or broken and isn't making the internal connection to then power the pump and boiler

If you're not comfortable doing that then get a CH engineer to check it all

• Jogey
    Options

Thanks I have called a CH engineer as you suggested.

• zippydoda
    Options

What was the problem in the end? Another hanging thread...this forum is a mess tbh

• Dolomite
    Options

Would be interested in the outcome as my HW has decided to stop working. I have no power to HW NO when the hot water is switched on, the valve stays in the CH position and the boiler does not fire. If the heating and hot water are on there is power to both HW NO and HW NC and the boiler fires up but the valve does not move to the midpoint.

It all worked fine until earlier this week.

• Jogey
    Options

I must apologise, my heating engineer fixed it but I don't know what he did to fix it

Good luck with your problem

• Dolomite
    Options

I am in contact with TADO support. I have been sent the test set up to bypass the TADO, which in my case is swapping one wire from HW NO to HW com- this fires the boiler when switched on, so the issue appears to be with TADO rather than the boiler.

Just waiting for support to come back to me.

Will update with the solution if identified.

• Dolomite
    Options

The response to my enquiry was to replace the wireless receiver and return my existing one as it was not repairable remotely.

I received the new device very quickly. All in all a good service from TADO excepting that the receiver failed within 2 weeks of fitting.