Set up multi-zones on new system

Options
I’ve replaced the entire central heating system in my house. It now consists of an upstairs and downstairs zone each with a zone control valve. I have an ideal logic max system boiler and a gledhill unvented cylinder.

Since this is a new installation I’m installing as per the professional installation guidance.

I want to control hot water and downstairs heating with the wireless starter kit and I’ve bought an additional wired thermostat to act as the controller for upstairs.

In the app I only have the option of selecting the wireless receiver as the zone controller, how do I change this so that upstairs is controlled by the wired thermostat?

Answers

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

If I read right, you should have two Tado wired smart thermostats installed. One to control downstairs and the other to control upstairs. I believe you must have it this way since the zone valves need a physical connection in order to be activated

In the app, you would make the wireless receiver the zone controller for both. That way, either can call for heat while activating their respective zone valves

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options

@ReeceJL if you are installing a wireless receiver then one of your thermostats will be in wireless mode, and the other is wired. The wireless receiver controls one of the heating zone valves directly and the wired thermostat controls the second heating zone valve.

When setting up Zone Controllers the Zone Controller for the wireless thermostat is the wireless receiver. The Zone Controller for wired thermostat is itself, do not set it to the wireless receiver. If you don't get the appropriate options in the App try deleting and reinstalling the devices in a different order.

• ReeceJL
    Options

@GrilledCheese2 I removed all devices and started the installation again. I connected the wired thermostat which set it as the zone controller so I was able to control the heating from it. Then I connected the wireless thermostat and receiver. At this point the receiver defaulted to being the controller for both zones so heating would come on everywhere at once.

There is no option for me to change the zone controller for the wired thermostat zone. Before reinstalling, I contacted support and they assigned me a new zone, however an error message would appear when trying to change the controller. So currently I'm in the same place as I started.

Because it's a new install I can't go through the app instructions which are tailored to which thermostat is being replaced. I don't know if this means that the wired stat is registering as a temp sensor. I don't think it is, because it is identified as a smart thermostat in the app.

• ReeceJL
    Options

@davidlyall I have a wireless starter kit for downstairs and a wired add on for upstairs. Having both controlled by one receiver means that both zones operate together. The wired thermostat is wired directly to the zone valve on the tank. The problem is it is being controlled by the wireless receiver so when a command is given to the downstairs heating, the wired thermostat is activated.