Differences between wireless and wired smart thermostat

Options

Are these two units essentially the same (i.e. the front part is the same, the difference being the wired one has the terminal blocks in the back plate for connecting to the boiler and the wireless one doesn't ?

Reason asking is have UK wirelesstarter kit which I had wanted to have connected to boiler in openthem, but have now found UK version doesn't support that. So seems option would be to source an extension kit or EU version of the wireless receiver.

Wondering if another option might be if I can get a backplate with terminals on and wire the smart thermostat to the boiler and configure as opentherm

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Given that as you said they’re effectively the same, there’s a good chance that this could work, but I suppose it depends on whether Tado has made any changes to the pcb. You can pick up second hand extension kits for about £50 on eBay.
  • MJ_Poole
    Options

I'm assuming they may be the same ? I don't know for sure

yeah buying an extension kit or a wired thermostat is my other option and extension kit might be the most straightforward option

If the wireless thermostat could be converted to wired it might be a cheaper option (but would need wire running

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Depending on when you want to install, there is a slim chance that Tado will put Opentherm support back in its uk products for the next generation, which is allegedly imminent. No guarantees though.
  • MJ_Poole
    Options

Does anyone know the spec size/type of terminal block used in the wired version ? seems the wireless version does have contact points and backplate has mount points and holes for terminals to come through, so casing at least looks to be the same.