Accidentally purchased wireless package

Options
Morning everyone. I have a combi boiler in the kitchen with the thermostat in the hall. I was convinced it was wireless but it appears to be a wired one (altech rt510). Unfortunately I was so convinced it was wireless that I bought the wireless starter pack rather than the wired one and only checked afterwards!

Is the best thing to do just return it and purchase a wired starter kit? Or would it be possible to replace the wired thermostat with the wireless package? I'm reasonably techy around apps and phones but in terms of wiring I'm a complete novice.

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Your current thermostat is battery powered and does not use a Neutral, whereas the wireless receiver is mains powered and therefore must have a Neutral. Unless there is an unused Neutral wire in the thermostat's back box you won't be able to use the wireless receiver with the current wiring.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    If you’re confident, you can unwire the thermostat from the boiler and wire the wireless receiver in instead. Tado usually send clear instructions. You’ll then have to decide what to do with the defunct wires in the wall and the hole where the wired thermostat was. Or just return it for a wired starter kit if you’d rather have a fixed thermostat.
  • RobMac
    Options
    Thanks both. I'm not at all confident and there's no rush so I'm not that fussed. I'll return the wireless one and get a wired kit.