Will changing to modulating control make old controller redundant?

Options
Hi, long term Tado user here and now looking to change to modulating control.

My current set-up sees a combi boiler connected to the original boiler control which in turn connects to the wired thermostat.

Question is will the original boiler controls need to be removed if I want to get the full benefits of modulating control.

In some ways I'm thinking that might actually be better as it removes wall clutter and a point of failure.

Any thoughts?

Nodds

Comments

• Nodds
    Options
    Actually, thinking about it. As soon as I move from high voltage to the low voltage connection I'm assuming the old controller might stop working?
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

Digital modulating thermostats often require a direct connection to the boiler, but to get a definitive answer you'll need to provide brand and model number for the old device.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Almost certain that you’ll need to wire the Tado thermostat in directly, but like grilled cheese says, really depends on your device.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    If you switch to a digital connection, make sure to tell Tado support to set your boiler’s max flow heating temperature to 55c, as otherwise it defaults to a much higher temp and overrides the boiler settings.