Help with set up in a new build

Options
Hi,
New to tado and have a basic system atm that I want to expand.
We live in a new build. There is a wired thermostat in our master bedroom with a fixed radiator valve (stays open) and this controls all of upstairs. There is another wired thermostat in the downstairs hallway, solely for downstairs.
I have changed our bedroom thermostat to a wired smart tado and that’s all so far.
The issue is, our bedroom is generally the warmest at night (less windows, two people) the other 3 bedrooms are colder at night and we have 3 young kids, one in each room. Since last winter we used an oil heater in thier rooms because whenever I switched the heating on via the thermostat in our room, it just got too hot in our room by the time the kid’s rooms were warm enough and this goes on all night. The bedrooms all have regular Non smart thermostats that are fully open and the bedrooms vary in size and number of windows.

What are my options to sort this out before the winter? Thanks!

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

You need to 'balance' the flow of hot water through the upstairs radiators. Decreasing the flow of water through the radiator in the master bedroom will reduce the amount of heat emitted. This should force more hot water to flow through the other radiators, increasing the amount of heat emitted in those rooms.

Each radiator will have a TRV or simply an open/close valve. At the other end is the lock shield valve - this is the one you need to adjust. You'll often need a spanner or similar tool to make the adjustment. If adjusting the master bedroom lock shield does not improve the balance, try opening the lock shields in the other bedrooms. Most of the adjustment is in the first turn from closed to open. After 2 complete turns it will probably make no difference.

In new build properties it is common for the radiators not to be balanced. It takes time to do it properly and is often omitted because the contractors need to do the installation quickly if they're to make any money.

This link may help you.

• Thanks for the reply.
    So just to clarify, you think I should try and balance the system first and stick with what I currently have with tado or would it work more efficiently to balance AND add the tado TRVs?
  • GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

Try balancing the radiators as it should be done regardless of the installation of TRVs, plus it won't cost you anything other than your time.

If balancing does not give the desired result try the smart TRVs, but you'll need smart TRVs on all the bedroom radiators to avoid overheating the master bedroom. The thermostat in the master bedroom will be the zone controller for all the smart TRVs. When installing the TRV in the master bedroom you group it in the same room as the wall thermostat in the app. The wall thermostat will be the temperature sensor for the room and the temperature sensor in the TRV is disabled. The master bedroom TRV will close when this room is up to temperature and the other TRVs will remain open if those rooms still require heat.

One last point. The smart TRVs can be a little noisy. How much noise depends on whether you have plastic or copper pipes and how the radiator is mounted to the wall.