Type of TRV to ask plumber to fit for Tado comparability

Options
I am shortly getting my electrician to install a tado wireless control to replace the programmer & wired thermostat (I have a standard UK/Ireland Baxi boiler with one heating zone and one hot water zone).

I would then like to replace my radiator valves with the Tado smart valves. However, a few rads don't have TRVs and those that do have these old Terrier II valves that I understand don't fit.

I'm going to try get a plumber to install new thermostatic valves on the radiators that I can attach the Tado myself to.

Is it a simple as asking a plumber to fit "M30x1.5 mm thermostatic Radiator valves" to the relevant radiators? Then it should be very straightforward for me to put the Tado smart TRV on top?

I have zero DIY experience with plumbing so I am looking to leave as much to the professionals as possible and leave whatever I have to do as simple as possible!

Answers

• Hello

We’ve just installed Tado and seems like we were in a similar boat to you (also with almost no DIY experience). We used these to replace our old, non-Tado compatible TRVs:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-angled-thermostatic-trv-lockshield-15mm-x-/31811?kpid=31811&ds_kid=92700072615374555&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8M2euqWH-gIVA7DtCh1COw4JEAQYASABEgIKaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Tado valves sit on these perfectly, no need for any of the adapters provided. I hope that helps.
  • That is very helpful. Did you replace the valves yourself? I think I would need a plumber as last thing I want is to mess up the heating going in to Christmas!
  • davidlyall
    Options

Best to get a plumber to do it if you have no experience as it's necessary to open the system which can get messy

Once installed, you'll be able to remove the thermostat head and replace with Tado easily. You're not touching the wet side of the system to do that so no risk of making a mess