Hot water and heating not working independently

Options

My system replaced a Honeywell ST6300a controller that allowed independent timing control of the heating and hot water. I followed the wiring instructions for the Tado controller and have checked, double checked and triple checked it’s wired correctly. However I can bring the hot water on independently of the heating, but whenever I bring the heating on it also brings the hot water on. I am sure this is not correct.

The system is gravity fed from the loft and the set up is also Y-plan. The controller is set to a gravity fed system as per the installation instructions. The boiler is an Ideal classic and the hot water tank is in the airing cupboard.

is there any way that the hot water and heating can run independent of each other?

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

You're getting confused with the terminology. Having a tank in the loft is not relevant to how the controls work.

A gravity-fed heating system uses the force of gravity to circulate hot water from the boiler through the circuit for the hot water cylinder. Only the radiator circuit is pumped. With this arrangement you cannot have CH without HW.

Your Y-Plan system is fully pumped. The CH and HW are independently controlled meaning the pump can circulate water around either circuit. Remove the gravity-fed configuration and your system should work as you expect it to.

• rocknrollstar
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thanks I’ll give that a try