room temperature sensors

Options

do Tado have additional kit that actually measures room temperature and not the temperature of the air around the TRV?

I have some IR panels that are regulated by a thermostat that plugs into a plug socket anywhere in the room, this seems like the better solution to me

Answers

• thefern
    Options

Tado's wireless smart thermostat is what you are looking for. When you add it to the room you can choose it to be the zone controller (which will open the rad TRV and call that)

• Dan0
    Options

thanks for your reply, I have 15 rooms and something like 22 rads, are you saying it would work with 14 more smart thermostats?

I already have tado TRVs on the rads but some are in rad covers and I do not believe TRV measure the room temperature well as they are next to the rad, some rooms are 17 foot sq some are very small like porch (who put a rad in a porch?) and boot room

• Dan0
    Options

as yes I just did a search on them, that is what I need I think, going to get pretty expensive at £150 each

• davidlyall
    Options

Think you might be looking at the wrong product.

It's Wireless Temperature sensor that you need. They're £90 each. Still too much IMHO but better than £150!

• Dan0
    Options

yep I was looking at the wireless stat that included a TRV, its £94 with stand, I can get away with 3 or 4 for now although Amazon will only sell 1 of these with stand, I have had to buy the others for £79 and stands at £24...

cheers all I think this has clarified things for me and resolved a couple of issues, looking forward to fully smart heating this year as opposed to no central heating last year, had to rely on Aga, wood burners and the IR panels which I will keep as a backup in case the 23year old boiler packs in

• thefern
    Options

I got all my kit in two tranches, both when the kit was on special - at least one of those was Amazon black friday deals... so maybe wait a bit. Shame there's no bulk deals.

• Dan0
    Dan0
    edited September 2022
    Options

sorry just another clarification, in my app I have two wireless units, on in the hall which is a "wireless temperature sensor" its actually wired and controls the hot water, on in my garden room which is called "smart thermostat" and just controls the heating in that room, these are one and the same thing right? I have ordered 4 more of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08D6VJVFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the large rooms with more than one rad or rad covers

clarification much appreciated

• thefern
    thefern
    edited September 2022
    Options

Not sure. Checking my system, my wired thermostats are labelled "Smart Thermostat" - I think you can use them wirelessly but someone else will have to comment, and the wireless listed as "Wireless Temperature Sensor".

What you have linked to in Amazon is what I use in the room where I have three TRVs to be the zone controller so would be suitable - you can, of course, choose one of the radiators to be the zone controller if their temperature works well (ie without a cover).

• Dan0
    Options

"you can, of course, choose one of the radiators to be the zone controller if their temperature works well (ie without a cover)."

another thing I didnt know, thanks for that.

• thefern
    Options

Just to get my terms correct in the room configuration GUI:

"Measuring Device": This is the device (TRV or thermostat) in the room that the temperature is measured from. you get a list of all the devices and can pick one.

"Zone Controller": typically the wireless receiver if that connects to the boiler and demands heat. There are use cases where you do not need a zone controller (like my wet UFH).

• Dan0
    Options

got it

I have issue but I will start another post

• Dan0
    Options

so I have just read that you can only have 25 devices! which is a problem as I already have 24 and I just ordered 4 more smart thermostats arrrgh......

• Dan0
    Options

looks like I will have to remove some Tado TRVs and put on ordinary TRVs in non critical rooms, that is a real disappointment