No modulation? Is Tado still saving money?

Options

I have just installed a Tado thermostat. I have a Worcester Greenstar 29 cdi boiler, which I previously controlled with the Comfort rf 2 receiver and thermostat.

I'm new to all of this - but while installing I realised that I’m not replacing the Comfort rf 2, which made me realise they’re using a different connection - from which I eventually understood the difference between ebus and a relay connection… namely, the loss of modulation.

How big of an issue is this? I’m now worried about whether Tado will actually save us money, or whether any savings will be offset by the boiler working less efficiently?

Also - on another note, what am I supposed to do with the old thermostat? Set it to Always on and forget about it?

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Tado can do a form of modulation on relay systems by cycling the boiler on and off so it doesn’t overshoot the target temperature by much.

You haven’t said what you’re installing. If you have a wired thermostat it will have a digital connection. If you get the EU version of the wireless receiver or the old extension kit, they both have digital support, assuming your boiler is compatible with Tado’s ebus support or opentherm.

The old thermostat sounds like it should be disconnected but it depends on what Tado support have told you.