Two heating zones plus water - please guide me. (UK)

Options

Hi, I’ve already installed 9 Tado radiator thermostats (5 more to do), but need guidance as I’m going to replace a 25 year old system boiler with a modern one. What should I do?

Q1) If I replace my two wired zone thermostats with Tado wired thermostats and install a Tado wireless receiver (aka ‘Programmer with Hot Water Control’) will I have full control of both heating zones and water? It’s not clear to me whether the Tado wired thermostats talk to the receiver or if I need Tado wireless thermostats (aka sensors) to do that. Multiple names for the same item is not helpful! Also, it’s not clear to me whether the Tado programmer can do two zones plus water.

Q2) Is there any advantage, in my system, to using Tado wireless thermostats/sensors instead of wired?

Q3) Since Tado gives so much flexibility of temperature and timings, down to radiator level, should I get the plumber to merge the two zones into one?

Thanks in advance, Ifor

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    The short answer is that as Tado is so flexible, with a smart trv setup zones are largely redundant. If you remove the zone valves you’ll still have room by room control from the trvs. Will be a simpler installation too.
  • ICLlP
    Options

Surely you mean remove the zone thermostats, not remove the zone valves?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I don’t know your plumbing system, if you could set both the valves to be permanently open then that might work. If you don’t want to rework the plumbing, keep the two zones, get two Tado wired thermostats wired to the valves and a wireless receiver (aka extension kit) to control the hot water.

You can’t use wireless thermostats because you need a connection to the zone valves.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Just to add, if you get a combi boiler you won’t need the wireless receiver, just the two wired thermostats. You can then set the hot water temp on your boiler.
  • ICLlP
    Options

The system’s too big for a combi.