when Smart Thermostat goes offline all smart radiators go offline as well

just installed a smart thermostat two days ago. unfortunately is a bit far away from the bridge so that it goes offline from time to time. however if it does all the other smart radiators in all the

rooms go offline as well. that seems a bit strange, since when a single radiator goes offline, that doesn't affect the other devices.

any advice?

Comments

• I've noticed the same issue even if a smart radiator valve goes offline too. It's quite frustrating since you should still at least be able to set the other radiator valve temperature in that room to start it warming up.

• Have the same issues in a room with multiple radiator valves - when 1 goes down either due to connectivity to the bridge low batteries low the whole room goes down. This is a new problem caused by an update at some point in late 2022. Tado what ever update you did…you fixed something that wasnt broken! Lol
  • Winnie
    Winnie
    edited June 2023

I find that frustrating too!! Drives me mad when I see a whole room has gone off line.

I recently added new extra radiator thermostats to my system and have temperature sensors set up in each room with overall heat temperature control. This is an old stone house with extremely cold damp walls and the valves don’t show the true room temperature. Having a master thermostat ensures the room heats to the correct temperature.

Since the installation of new additional TRVs by my fitter 2 weeks ago, various TRVs esp in the furthest rooms keep going offline, and sometimes one of the room thermostats does it too. I have re-connected them when it happens, or moved the bridge around slightly and if often comes back online. It may have been due to software/firmware updates being done?

I have looked at some information on how the radiator valves behave if this happens in winter. I have seen some reports that the heating just stays off and others that say that the heating will stay on until I physically turn off the boiler and fix the issue.

Can one of you techy experts out there give me some plain English advice on what really happens? The thought that the heating stays on for these offline TRVs even if no heating was set in the schedule fills me with horror. If I am at work in winter, I wouldn’t be able to solve the issue before I came home. Some advice would really be appreciated.

Any help appreciated on the following points:

1. I want to be sure I won’t be racking up huge heating bills if these TRVs go offline in winter and the heating stays on.

2. I’m not sure if I have any control over the other radiator or temperature sensor in a room if the room goes offline.

3.Will the room just stay unheated until I solve the problem?

4.Are any of the problems caused by TADO doing updates - software/firmware. Where can I find info on any updates they are doing?

5.Can I manually turn up the radiator in a room that is not actually offline?

Thanks!!

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    1. Unfortunately you will.

2. Not remotely.

3. It will stay in the last state it was in when it went offline. If it was heating at the time then it will continue heating.

4. As far as I know it’s caused by the bridge losing connection.

5. Yes. Sometimes changing the control on a device brings it back online if the room is offline too.
  • Winnie
    Winnie
    edited June 2023
    Johnny - you are a star. Looks like I will be putting in a Wi Fi mesh system in to help boost my wifi signal. Strangely, it seemed to operate a lot better when I had less devices set up.

One of the reasons that I opted for TADO was because Which Magazine recommended them. I think I should let them know that they should look at the comments on the TADO community forum and review their assessment of how good TADO is.

I’ve read a lot of different threads on the forum which leave me really concerned that I have made the right decision investing in this not-so-smart system. A radiator staying on when it loses contact with the internet is
    insane, and a system that cannot handle wireless connection effectively because the hardware is not up to scratch is really not fit for purpose. I just have to hope that a mesh system will help with this but I’m not holding my breathe…….
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    I’m afraid a wifi mesh system will do absolutely nothing for Tado - it doesn’t communicate via wifi. It may enable you to place your Tado bridge in a better position but that’s about it.
  • Then this system is really not fit for purpose. Won’tI be able to plug the internet Bridge into the wifi disc via its Ethernet port?
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Yup, you can do that.
  • I’ve got some longer wires for the internet bridge and it now seems to work a lot better - fingers crossed. I’ve not had a single problem for the last 2 weeks. My wifi expert is going to try moving my router to a better position in the house and install some mesh units to see if that helps the internet as well. It will give us some other options of where to place the internet bridge too.

I wish TADO would create an improved seamless system where maybe 2 internet bridges could be installed at different places in a house. No doubt they would say that isn’t possible….!!!