Ideal Vogue C40 and Nest with Tado Smart Radiator Valves

Options

My current heating setup consists of an Ideal Vogue C40 Combi (Gen2) with a wired Nest Thermostat and Heat Link. All the rads have standard inlet/lockshield valves. 

In the next couple of weeks I’m having all of the valve sets replaced with Drayton TRV4 valves (the one in the hall where the Nest is located will be left on full so that the Thermostat can still have overall control).

Following this, my plan is to replace all of the TRV4s with Tado Smart Radiator Thermostats and an Internet Bridge but I’d also like to replace the Nest with a wired Smart Thermostat V3+.

Is this a relatively simple thing to do and is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks all

Best Answer

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Not necessarily, but it’s likely that the heat link wiring would need to be removed altogether and replaced with wiring from the Tado wired thermostat.

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    It sounds relatively straightforward - Tado will provide you customised instructions to switch over. The wired thermostat connects straight to the boiler so you’d need to make sure you have the correct wiring when you remove the heat link.
  • garlanj
    Options
    Thanks, so will some of the boiler wiring have been changed to fit the heat link?
  • garlanj
    Options
    So, just to confirm, thought we’d take it in stages. TRVs fitted today and also asked the plumber to set up existing stat (wired Nest 3rd gen) in open therm mode. He did the following and wouldn’t fire:
    Connected the plug and socket inside the boiler, connected the signal wires to the OT terminals, bridged the room stat/timer terminals. Connected the signal wires in the heat link to OT 1 and 2 and left the thermostat wires connected to T1 and 2? According to accepted wisdom that should have worked 🤔
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I don’t know anything about nest I’m afraid. It sounds like everything has been done to set it up for Opentherm - maybe you have to tell it to operate in Opentherm mode?

There is a slim change you’re missing a timer link plug to bridge the boiler’s timer but it sounds like that might have already been checked, especially if the boiler was working with the nest before. If not you can order it here (and many other places). https://www.heatingspareparts.com/boiler-spares/partno/179052/414936