TADO EU model - Opentherm + PDHW on a System Boiler with water tank

Options
Hello...

I have a system boiler and water tank.
My boiler is IDEAL VOGUE MAX S18 which supports Opentherm and PDHW.

The heating system is on S PLAN.
My aim is to have Opentherm with Priority over Hot Water.

Can TADO EU model archieve this?
If NO, why not???

The PDHW on a S Plan requires the CH zone valve to be upgraded from Normally Closed to Normally Open. This is so, when Hot water is demanded that it will prioritieses it first and then switches to central heating.

So, apparently that's not possible!
Has anybody done this?

Otherwise I may have to switch to NEST as it has more connectors.

Please advise.

Answers

• swwils
    Options
    I guess you could use 2 relay mode thermostats and then the extension in OT mode with the extension being the zone controller for both relay mode stats?

You might have to force tado app to work via support as it won't let you do this by default. If you selected a ideal in the install instructions (would be expecting a 2 stage controller).

I am unsure if the ext can do a relay hot water call and OT at the same time, I don't think so.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    The extension kit can’t do relay and Opentherm at the same time. You could possibly use an extension kit/wireless receiver to control the hot water via relay and a wired thermostat into Opentherm for the Ch but I’m not totally sure that this would work.
  • Bimi
    Options
    Hey all

Sorry I am not that technical.
    Looks like TADO cannot do Opentherm with Ideal Vogue Max s18 and have the CH to NormallyOpen whereas HW is NormallyClosed

Nest on other hand has enough connectors making that possible. Shame TADO is not quite there yet though loved to have it bundled with Tado smartTRV too.
  • Bimi
    Options
    Anybody managed to get TADO EU installed to utilize Opentherm with PDHW on a system boiler???????
  • swwils
    Options
    Yes. I have managed this. You need multiple smart thermostats though.
  • Bimi
    Options
    Hello swils

Is it via TADO EU model?
    Pls explain in more details
  • swwils
    Options

You have to have the boiler connected via opentherm to a smart thermostat.

Then control each zone valve with another smart thermostat in relay mode with them being in a tado zone with the opentherm thermostat as the zone controller.

The opentherm smart thermostats temperature sensor will be used for the load compensation - so make sure its in a sensible place.

• ohnosee
    Options

@swwils is there a reason you can use the the old extension kit (I have one) connected via OpenTherm to the boiler rather than a smart thermostat?

• swwils
    Options
    It's just had it originally for people who had a HW Zone boiler over opentherm.

It still CANT do relay + opentherm.
  • swwils
    Options

Really no updates at all TADO? its been years!

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    It appears that tado do not monitor these Forums any more....... They really don't care about their customers.
  • swwils
    Options

BUMP!

Opentherm + RELAY on the extension kit! Its been years.

@Rob

• swwils
    Options
    BUMP!

Opentherm + RELAY on the extension kit! Its been years.

@Rob
  • BoutTime
    Options
    Bump! Come on Tado. Read your own forums for crying out loud.
  • swwils
    Options
    Bump! It's been years. I'm literally old now.