Tado TRV spanner icon after replacing batteries, will not calibrate

Options

Hi,

After replacing the batteries in one of my TRV's, a spanner icon appeared on the TRV and it will not calibrate? It's always stuck in the open position allowing hot water into the radiator regardless of room temperature. The app just says Error for this particular TRV with no error code.

I've tried replacing the batteries with different ones (good ones lol) and reset it multiple times. The only thing that works is pressing the small reset button on the underside of the TRV with a paperclip which then extends/retracts the black TRV pin approx three times. While it's doing this I quickly re-seat the TRV then it calibrates. (I assumed the motor was jammed but it does work when resetting it using a pin)

As a test, I then removed the batteries, re-inserted them and again, the spanner icon appeared and will not calibrate. I'm concerned that although I have a 'work-around' that the TRV might be faulty? Has anyone else had this issue?

A little more information on my setup:

There is a seperate zone controller for this TRV, the radiator was changed from a single to a double so the TRV is neither horizontal nor vertical. It's now at a slight angle as the new radiator extends farther than the original radiator, I didn't want the hassle of moving the pipework :). The TRV was orginally calbrated in a vertical position.

Thanks

Best Answers

• GazD
    GazD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I had a TRV like this one, turned out to be faulty so returned for replacement.
  • Jon754
    Jon754
    Answer ✓
    Options

For anyone who came here with a similar issue, just to let you know Tado confirmed the device as faulty and is replacing it, glad it was still within warranty!

Thanks again for responses

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    One other thing you can try.......remove the SRT body from the base on the TRV and replace the batteries again........then wait for 1 minute before you refit the SRT body onto the SRT base. This can allow the SRT to fully calibrate.......if that does not work then I suspect that it is faulty.
  • Jon754
    Options

Thank you both for your input. I've tried many times to reset and calibrate, waiting well over a minute in some instances but the only thing that works is resetting it by the pin underneath. Even then it's luck whether it will actually calibrate. In the meantime I've been speaking to tado support and sent over a video so I'm hoping this will get resolved soon.

Thanks again

• Martin_G
    Options

Thank you thank you Jon754 for the paper clip in the small hole tip. I've just had the exact same problem when changing batteries in a valve that is many years out of warranty. This fixed it for me - will wait and see for how long but hopefully it will last.

• Jon754
    Options
    No problem Martin_G! Another tip I've learned, before replacing the batteries I retract the black valve pin fully on the underside of the trv head by setting the temp to max. You will hear the valve retract after a short period of time. This stops the trv "popping off" as it's fully retracted when taking the head off. Otherwise if the trv is set to off the black pin on the trv head is pushing down while trying to take it off and it kind of pops off with some force. Anyway, in my experience it seems to prevent the dreaded spanner icon!
  • Martin_G
    Options

That's a good tip thank you. I think I caused the problem in the first place - the trv head popped off as you describe and I think the black valve pin was still sticking out when I reattached the head to the valve. The Tado valve pin and the radiator valve plunger then had a little debate about which was going to give way - and I think the radiator valve won out and pushed the black valve pin into the head body where it then got stuck. Oops.

I tried Tado's valve reset process many times. A few seconds after closing the battery cover I could feel the motor make a slight movement - presumably it was trying to move the black valve pin but didn't or couldn't. Fortunately the paper clip tip had more success.

Shall always set temp to max before swapping batteries in future.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

I agree, setting a TRV to 25º before demounting is a good idea but in addition if it's assigned to a zone controller it's worth making the TRV independent temporarily in order to avoid the boiler firing . . .